Savage hog hunter .308 feeding issues - Shooting Sports Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 17:14   #1

Savage hog hunter .308 feeding issues

Ok, picked up the rifle today and brought her home and did function tests... when it got to checking the feeding Imput 2 snap caps in the mag, I didn't get my bolt but 2mm's forward before the top round ejected completely out...popped straight up and out. I loaded the next round and it loaded perfect. I then re-did this test two more times to confirm, same thing happened. Then I put 4 snap caps in the mag. I loaded the rifle... rounds 1 and 2 fed fine, 3 popped out and 4 fed fine also. I repeated this test a couple more times to confirm. I then repeated test with live ammunition and the same thing happened the next to bottom round popped up almost as soon as the bolt touched it. Going back to the snap caps, I inserted two into the mag and using my finger and fingernail I pushed the cap forward and it fed fine, I put it back and this time used a small pocketknife blade to get completely behind the round and tried this. Again the round popped out almost immediately.

The only things that comes to my mind is that maybe the feed lips on the mag are little wide. Anybody else have any thoughts or suggestions otherwise?
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 17:25   #2

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Detachable Mag? Check to make sure its not specifically for 243 or 7mm/08.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 17:43   #3

Nope not detachable.

Old 02-23-2017, 18:13   #4
large member

wow....that kinda sucks.

when i first started reading i thought "its the snap caps".....i have had snap caps behave weird in firearms before, only to have real ammo function fine. but that certainly isn't the case......

my hog hunter action was a bit clunky at first, but it smoothed out quickly. but i didn't have any feed issues, even after i removed the mag to put it in another stock w/o really knowing completely what i was doing....

hope you figure it out....if not, i'm sure savage will take care of you.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 19:19   #5

I Wanted to see if the feeding lips was the issue so I took a flathead screwdriver and nudged the feeding lips on one side just enough to move it a hair.... the round loaded... I did the same thing to the other side and again the rifle loaded fine! I covered up some needle nose pliers with electrical tape and squeezed the middle back part of the mag lips, just enough where it got a bit tighter... took me two times... the rifle is now feeding reliably at this point.

Now another problem reared its head, the ejection wasn't very strong to begin with but now it's not making it completely out of the rifle... beforehand it ejected out of the rifle but not with great authority by any means. Going in slow motion it seems like by the time the round clears the chamber there isn't enough tension to throw the round... even at speed... so then the question becomes that do you think it's a possibility that part of the cause of this is that It's a snap cap and therefore is longer than a spent casing? I mean it was throwing them out before so obviously something is happening or has changed.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:01   #6

If the snap caps weigh more than an empty, then you ejection might not be as stout.
Steak n eggs likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54   #7

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to think too hard about it until I get out to the farm and see how it deals with real ammo!... the important thing is that it's feeding reliably.