Any Lee Enfield experts here? - Shooting Sports Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2017, 17:48   #1

Any Lee Enfield experts here?

I'm trying to figure out how to add a rear flip sight to the charger bridge of a Lee Enfield Ishapore 2A. Not sure the Ishapore versions were ever modified in this way, but I saw a No1 Mk3 today that had its charger bridge drilled for what looks like a rear sight. No other mods and there was no rear sight (other than the standard on up on the barrel). What am I seeing in this photo?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:48   #2

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Not an expert, but own quite a few lee-enfields(all No.4's and 5's). I believe that hole is to fixture the charger bridge for milling the charger clip guide slots. As far as a replacement rear sight, mojo makes one for smle's that is click adjustable. Also, williams makes a receiver sight, but it requires drilling and tapping the receiver. The mojo sight replaces the issue rear sight on the barrel.
I would leave the charger bridge alone. Its the best way to load an enfield, quickly.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 18:19   #3

That makes sense. This photo shows a nub on the clip that must grab in the charger bridge indents to facilitate loading. I take it that's a common feature to all SMLEs?

This is what I'm after, and I believe that would involve removing the center of the bridge altogether. I get that using clips is the best way to reload an Enfield, but none of my 308 is in clips and I'm quite indoctrinated into the magazine loading manual of arms. My main reluctance to cutting the middle out of the bridge would be weakening the receiver. Any insights on that?

Old 02-24-2017, 05:51   #4

Absolutely. Enfields lock at the rear of the bolt, not up front like a mauser. On the number 1 action, chamber pressure/bolt thrust from the .303 cartridge is almost at the limit of what the action can handle routinely. 7.62 is about 1000 psi/cup more than .303. Commercial .308 can be even higher. If it were mine, I really wouldn't cut/modify anything in the receiver. I would want all the strength in there that I could get.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2017, 19:38   #5

I did this to my #4 Mk1 to mount a Redfield Olympic to my gun. The adapter plate was designed and made by me and only requires a longer Ejector Screw and removal of the Existing Flip up Rear Sight so that a second screw can be inserted from the inside out.

Redfield made Adapter Plates for Enfield Rifles for many years. They all work the same way as mine with only the mounting holes for the sight (Lyman or Redfield) and the overall length being specific. Mine had to have the rail to mount the sight itself and was longer than the common ones made for Hunting Rifles.

This works very well and requires no alteration of the rifle itself.

I also make the Front Sight Adjustment Tool for the #4 Mk1 which allows Precise Windage Adjustments on the Front Sight.

Available at Buchanan Precision Machine

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Any Lee Enfield experts here?-100463813.jpg   Any Lee Enfield experts here?-100463815.jpg   Any Lee Enfield experts here?-100463816.jpg   Any Lee Enfield experts here?-100463826.jpg   Any Lee Enfield experts here?-100463811.jpg   Any Lee Enfield experts here?-100463808.jpg  

Any Lee Enfield experts here?-access-j.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:40   #6

Nice looking sight Randy. Since starting this thread a couple months ago, I have bought an Ishapore Enfield 2A which of course lacks the rear sight attachment points of the No4. For better or worse, I prioritized the 7.62 chambering over the rear sight believing I could add a ghost ring to the charger bridge. Pretty sure I have a plan that will work there.

At the moment though, my challenge is dealing with the original rear sight base. I've removed the pin securing it to the barrel and the screw holding the spring in place, but the sight base will not budge. I've read that many were silver soldered. Do you have any insights on that?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:48   #7

HTT-
Many were soldered, some weren't, and with ishy's, it's anyone's guess. Pretty much expect corrosion/rust in there, even if it's not soldered. Try heating gently with a propane torch, and attempting to tap it off w/ a brass hammer.
WR- that's a great looking adapter plate. Reminds me of the parker/hale plates made so many years ago.
MOA club member
Old 05-05-2017, 05:55   #8

I've heated it with MAPP gas and it didn't budge when tapped with a brass hammer, but I didn't get the sight base to the dull orange color that I've read it takes because I started reading up on hardness and temper and all that. Seems like that much heat will impact the 52 year old barrel. Anything to worry about there?

Part of my study on this rear sight base issue led me to discover that the rear sight spring screw does more than hold the spring to the sight base. There is a hole centered beneath the screw, although it is somewhat off center on my Ishapore 2A. The photo below clearly shows the threads, the surface of the barrel exposed inside the hole, and the bottom of the hole.

At the point where the screw penetrates the surface, the barrel diameter is 0.707" and the sight base with spring in place is 0.097" thick. From the top of the spring, it's 0.206" to the bottom of that hole. If the bore is 0.30", then the barrel is 0.204" thick at that point. I know my math must be off, but that hole must be awfully close to penetrating the bore.

Do all Enfield No1 and 2 models have a hole beneath the rear sight spring screw?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:00   #9

Guess I found my answer. Looks like they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Lee Enfield experts here?-enfield-no1mk3-barrel-without-rear-sight-base.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:03   #10

Looks like you got it off.
MOA club member
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31   #11

Not yet; just found a picture of one without the rear sight base. Still struggling with what will happen to the barrel after being heated to 1200 to melt that silver solder.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:17   #12

Typically sights like that are not Silver Soldered on, but Soft Soldered on, so as to not upset the Heat Treat.

With a gun made in India there is literally no telling, but what I would do is go to the Enfield Forum and maybe someone could educate you on what is what.

Enfield-Rifles.com

A lot of pretty knowledgeable guys over there.

Randy