Perfect Union banner

Canoes anyone??

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  hunter385 
#1 ·
I did alot of canoeing when I was younger and recently decided to get back into it. However I didnt realize there are somany different types for different types of canoeing. As ignorant as it may sound I thought a canoe was a canoe. I never had my own I always used rentals back in the day. and the rentals always looked the same. Now Im lookin to get my own, and dont know what the correct hull would be to choose for the type pf canoeing ill be doing? Anyone here know anything about canoes?

To give an idea of what mostly i will be doing. Mostly I will be using it in small rivers, it needs to handle being loaded down with camp gear I will also be doing some fishing from it aswell. The river Ill be using it in can get up to a class 5 rapid but has turn offs to avoid them but I am experienced enough to take on a class 3 so Id like a boat thats stable but manuverable enough for atleast a class 3 rapid. any help is most appreciated

#2 ·
When I was researching information on purchasing my 1st canoe, the two best books that I found on canoes and canoe camping were: Path of the Paddle (an Illustrated Guide to the Art of Canoing ) and Song of the Paddle ( an Illustrated Guide to Wilderness Camping ) by the late Bill Mason. Both books are full of information and good reads. Bill was an expert at canoeing and wilderness travel and he paddled most of the wild rivers of Canada. Hope this helps.
Mike

#3 ·
I haven't been canoeing in a long time, I'd love to go again. I would just go with a group from work or church. A buddy of mine found a shirt that says "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!":lol:

#4 ·
I know nothing about rapids as I have never canoed rough water. I have spent some time in the florida swamps. I used a gruman aluminum canoe. It was more durable than neccasary and light enough to pack. Infact I bet that same canoe is still being used in the glades 15 years later. I would love to get my hands on another now.

#9 ·
I have built two 16' pirogues for my grandsons and am now starting on two 13foot models. thay are flat bottomed bayou boats made from plywood and are great. I have a "tupperware" Coleman canoy that feels like a battleship compared to the pirogue. They're stable , fast and easy to paddle and portage. Not like kevlar, mind you, but only about $150.00 complete. The plans or rib kit can be had from Uncle John's Boats. Take a look. I love'em.

#12 ·
I have used an old town guide and have beat the living sh!t out of the thing, and it didnt seem to phase it. It is stable and you can load it with like 1200 pounds. I have shot alot of ducks out of it, caught a lot of fish out of it, and have spent many hours of fun paddling it through the water. unfortunately some piece of garbage stole it out of the back of my truck this spring. I swear to god if I catch the guy or gal that did that, I am gonna take him out in it fitted with some nice concrete footwear and tip the thing over.

My buddy had the same canoe up in Alaska, and we beat the hell out of that one also. Hunted alot of moose and caught alot of salmon from that thing. I miss Alaska something awful, been trying to convince my wife we need to move up there but it isnt working to well. I guess it is time to break out the phone book or a sack of oranges, i can beat her until she agrees and not leave any marks. Kidding, the only mark that would be left would be on me, about .45 size right in the middle of my chest, if I went to hitting that woman. She scares me. :lol:

#13 ·
I have used an old town guide and have beat the living sh!t out of the thing, and it didnt seem to phase it. It is stable and you can load it with like 1200 pounds. I have shot alot of ducks out of it, caught a lot of fish out of it, and have spent many hours of fun paddling it through the water. unfortunately some piece of garbage stole it out of the back of my truck this spring. I swear to god if I catch the guy or gal that did that, I am gonna take him out in it fitted with some nice concrete footwear and tip the thing over.

My buddy had the same canoe up in Alaska, and we beat the hell out of that one also. Hunted alot of moose and caught alot of salmon from that thing. I miss Alaska something awful, been trying to convince my wife we need to move up there but it isnt working to well. I guess it is time to break out the phone book or a sack of oranges, i can beat her until she agrees and not leave any marks. Kidding, the only mark that would be left would be on me, about .45 size right in the middle of my chest, if I went to hitting that woman. She scares me. :lol:
thats exactly what Im lookin at an old town guide 147 to be exact. the local dealer has one for 700 bucks. its definately a sturdy lookin boat, infact I told the sales guy that the boat looks like it could take a beating. He nodded his head and said yep! its probably the one im gonna get just not sure how it would manuver in a little white water otherwise it looks extremely sea worthy.

#14 ·
Seven hundred sounds a little steep for the 147, I saw them for like 450 at Dicks sporting goods. If it was the 167 however that would be about the right price. The one we used in alaska worked fine in whitewater, but to be honest wihte water and canoes makes my butt pucker a little bit. I am telling you I dont think you would be dissapointed with an old town canoe, they are really sturdy and stand up to some big time punishment. When I buy another one to take the place of the one that some vermin stole from me, I will be buying another old town guide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.