LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34   #1
Administrator
Points: 25,716, Level: 96 Points: 25,716, Level: 96 Points: 25,716, Level: 96
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Lets talk about cooking ribs

Personally, I prefer baby back pork ribs over beef ribs. The beef ribs have more fat on them, and they are not as tasty as pork ribs. Where I can cook some baby back ribs in about 4 hours, beef ribs seem to take something like 6 hours.

Some people may wonder about using a side smoker that uses charcoal to cook ribs.

My advice, do not waste your time on a side box smoker that uses charcoal. Charcoal does not produce enough heat in a side box for prolonged cooking.

Side fire box - yes.

Charcoal in side box - no.

Sorry for the poor video quality, this was before I figured out how to use the editing software.

To cook my ribs, I like to use a combination of pen oak, or red oak, and some pecan. Or, if there is no pecan handy, I just use whatever oak I have on hand.

I like to put the ribs on to marinate the night before, have them in a container in fridge overnight, then put the ribs on the grill the next day. I use a mixture of cajun spices, steak seasoning and liquid marinate.

Memorial day is coming up, and I plan on cooking a brisket and some baby back ribs.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03   #2
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Nice. I usually smoke pork ribs for about 6 hours slow with either alder or oak. I dry rub them and let them sit overnight wrapped tight before they hit the smoker. My smoker can only do about 20lbs of ribs at a time, nothing like what you got there. A lot of times when I am doing a bunch of them for a party I usually smoke them for 6 hours then wrap them tight in foil and place back into the fridge overnight. 2 hours before we are to eat I will place them on low heat (200 degrees) in the oven (still in the foil) and let them warm up. Never have had a complaint and they taste as good as any ribs I have ate,and I try to eat ribs every year when I travel to see my son in Memphis.
Old 05-25-2011, 17:06   #3
I have no use for sarcasm
Points: 16,697, Level: 82 Points: 16,697, Level: 82 Points: 16,697, Level: 82
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

ok.. how bout some tips to us novices that dont have a damn tractor trailer to smoke with
Old 05-26-2011, 13:55   #4
Points: 17,892, Level: 85 Points: 17,892, Level: 85 Points: 17,892, Level: 85
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
ok.. how bout some tips to us novices that dont have a damn tractor trailer to smoke with
What are you working with?
The ribs know temp and smoke. They don't know if it's coming from a huge rig, or a $20 grill. (Or a hot plate and a cardboard box.)LOL
Even if you don't get close to what the competition guys cook, you'll probably end up cooking something that's better than any take-out! LOL

Old 05-26-2011, 15:09   #5
Points: 17,892, Level: 85 Points: 17,892, Level: 85 Points: 17,892, Level: 85
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by whofarted View Post
WF, I was thinking about your post and figured I should post this. It's pretty much what got me started. It gives a lot of info.

BTW, I've made the rub and the sauce that he shows in this video. Both were good! Oh yeah....the ribs were pretty dang good, too!