AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24   #1
Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Which Geissele trigger should I go with?

I have read up on aftermarket triggers for the AR and it seems that Geissele is the way to go. I have heard good things about the SSA and the SSA-E (along with several other models) but besides the difference in break (a carrot and a candy cane respectively) is there any advantage to one over the other? Or is it all personal preference?

Does anyone have experience with either of these triggers, and what do you guys suggest? I think my current trigger is a bit much, although it is supposed to be a combat trigger. I am not looking for a match trigger, or something that would be unsafe for plinking in the woods. I would like a crisp and consistent pull and any insight into which would achieve that would be appreciated.

"What the hell is going on out there!?" -Vince Lombardi
BangBangPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:54   #2
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Yes, it is all personal preference. Including the Geisselle over any other brand. I have read many good things about them but, I am used to a single stage trigger and to the best of my knowledge the geisselle's are all two stage triggers. Personally I went with the JP Enterprises EZ trigger system: JP - EZ Trigger™ System which is a single stage trigger that breaks cleanly at 3.5lbs.
It would be good if you could try out a 2 stage before you buy. You may not like them. They have a long "take-up" then a short crisp second stage.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 14:59   #3
Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Huh, good to know. My mini 14 has a 2 stage trigger, and I like it. I modified it to be around 4 lbs and got rid of the "take up" almost entirely. I am not implying that I would do the same with this one. Ill take a look at the JP EZ system though. I am by no means stuck on Geissele, but I have only read good things about them so far. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-28-2012, 15:24   #4
KMOSuper Vendor
Super Vendor
Points: 20,712, Level: 90 Points: 20,712, Level: 90 Points: 20,712, Level: 90
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Or, BBP, you might just pull the assembly & send it in to a trusted gunsmith for a trigger job. I'll be getting an assembly back this week from my favorite smith over in CA...
Old 08-28-2012, 18:10   #5
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by KMO View Post
Or, BBP, you might just pull the assembly & send it in to a trusted gunsmith for a trigger job. I'll be getting an assembly back this week from my favorite smith over in CA...
Good point. I think that I will still buy an aftermarket trigger but will have my stock trigger adjusted as well. It is always good to have spare parts lying around, and have a few options. I don't like the idea of sending away a key component of my rifle without having a backup of that component.

Old 08-28-2012, 18:15   #6
Points: 21,599, Level: 92 Points: 21,599, Level: 92 Points: 21,599, Level: 92
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

Looks like you have yet to get an answer. I have an evil COLT SPORTER (at least as far as Cali is concerned) that is of the large pin variety. You do know that Colts have "Large Pins" and as a result, finding triggers for one is VERY difficult. No one carries Large pin triggers in stock. I wanted the Geisselle brand, so I called their tech line. I wanted to shoot 3-Gun style yet also get accuracy at longer ranges. The tech steered me to the SSA/E to get a more appropriate long range style trigger. I ordered directly from them and the Large Pin was $50 more than the Small Pin (DUH???), but that was the only way to get it. During the first 2 dozen rounds it double fired once. but after that it has been flawless. It is a great trigger, you won't regret it.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 19:31   #7
Points: 11,169, Level: 69 Points: 11,169, Level: 69 Points: 11,169, Level: 69
Activity: 15.5% Activity: 15.5% Activity: 15.5%
Last Achievements

When I bought a couple of used training AR's a while back the armorer went through them and put a Geissele SSA in one of the Millit Billit lowers. Its a nice trigger. I just bought a new Colt 6920 and I'm going to have him switch out the Colt trigger with the Geissele. Not that theres anything wrong with the Colt trigger its OK but the Geissele in nicer and the Colt is what I'm shooting now.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53   #8
Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2 Points: 133, Level: 2
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Last Achievements

I put a SSA in my AR and really like it. It is a fixed 3.5 lb 2 stage pull. On rapid fire it is not a problem and very good for slow fire.
Kengun is offline   Reply With Quote