AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 17:23   #1
Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Got my complete AR, but I am far from finished...

So I got my SR-556E last week, and I love it. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I have done some minor cosmetic work to it. The E model comes with a smooth handguard instead of a quad rail, and it is tapped to accept accessories and rails. This rifle's handguard (hole pattern) is compatible with SR-22 accessories, so I was able to mount my Midwest Industries swivel mount without modification. I bought a 9 inch rail from the Ruger Shop and installed it on the bottom of the handguard. I mounted the two side rail covers by drilling and countersinking them directly to the handguard, instead of installing rails on each side. I read that the handguard can get pretty hot, although mostly towards the front.

I am looking to change the buttstock to a Magpul CTR, the pistol grip to a Hogue rubber grip with storage kit, and swap the trigger for a Geissele SSA or SSA-E in the near future. Any insight into the differences between the two triggers? I am willing to spend the extra $20 or so to get a more crisp trigger pull.

I love the Troy folding sights and am glad that I bought them first. I was used to the sights on my Mini 14, but it may be tough to go back to them. So I couldn't be happier with my investment, although I probably should have bought it a while ago. I am also proud to be part of the AR family, and I appreciate the help, suggestions, and insight I have received here thus far.
Attached Thumbnails
Got my complete AR, but I am far from finished...-dsc03196.jpg  

"What the hell is going on out there!?" -Vince Lombardi
BangBangPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51   #2
2 Hawks Tomahawks of Ariz
Points: 3,009, Level: 33 Points: 3,009, Level: 33 Points: 3,009, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BangBangPlay View Post

I am looking to change the buttstock to a Magpul CTR, the pistol grip to a Hogue rubber grip with storage kit, and swap the trigger for a Geissele SSA or SSA-E in the near future. Any insight into the differences between the two triggers? I am willing to spend the extra $20 or so to get a more crisp trigger pull.
With nearly a hundred videos (I'm guessing here) on youtube showing how to do a trigger job and a '15 minute trigger job' article on this site why would you spend over $200 for a new trigger?

The custom trigger thing is highly over rated for the money spent. If you're smart you'll try doing the trigger job yourself, for free!! If you screw it up all you'll need to get it back to factory will be new springs....providing you don't screw up the surfaces of the sear and hammer. Buy a spring kit and you'll have the needed parts ready to go if something goes wrong.

If you can follow instructions you can greatly improve your stock trigger to break cleanly and with less pressure applied.... without a dremel tool.

Use a very fine emery cloth to polish the hammer and sear surfaces and use a flat (fine) sharpening stone to finish the polishing. The critical thing at this stage is to be sure you are mating the flat surfaces to the flat stone so you do not change any of the angles.

You just bought your rifle, I suggest you shoot it, break it in and consider doing more mods yourself, you'll get to know your weapon and you'll understand what it takes to modify one if you ever buy (or build) another.

If you do this yourself I recommend you don't go below 4.5 lbs on your trigger pull gauge, especially if this is a rifle you may have to carry into the excrement storm. In my opinion it's dangerous to go below 5lbs for any rifle going into a combat zone unless it's a sniper rifle.

That's my .02
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41   #3
Points: 1,678, Level: 23 Points: 1,678, Level: 23 Points: 1,678, Level: 23
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I like it! You definitely have a solid AR base there, and your additions all sound good! Personally I'm not a fan of the Hogue grip, but the Magpul CTR is a solid stock and one of my favorite; the friction lock is very nice and eliminated the excess movement on mine.

And while you can do a trigger job on an AR, most of the fire control groups only have surface hardening, so if you take a little too much off, you run the risk of ruining it. As for your trigger choices, I don't have experience with either, but they are both high quality, so I don't think you could go wrong.
IslandTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00   #4
Administrator
Points: 26,188, Level: 96 Points: 26,188, Level: 96 Points: 26,188, Level: 96
Activity: 6.4% Activity: 6.4% Activity: 6.4%
Last Achievements

Man oh man, that is a nice looking rifle.

You did not want to go with a magpul ms2 or ms3 sling?

I have to admit, I like the look of the extra padding on that sling. My MS3 needs some extra padding, its starts to dig into your shoulder after a little while
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 13:03   #5
Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100 Points: 37,336, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Man oh man, that is a nice looking rifle.

You did not want to go with a magpul ms2 or ms3 sling?

I have to admit, I like the look of the extra padding on that sling. My MS3 needs some extra padding, its starts to dig into your shoulder after a little while
Funny thing, its the vikings tactics padded sling with and added pad from my maxpedition versapack. I gave it a try and it fit perfectly and is super comfortable. I am surprised that maxpedition doesn't offer these pads for other gear, or maybe they do. It was an experiment, and I never took it off. I have used that sling on my mini and now it belongs to my AR. I works great for hands free at the range, and for just plinking in the woods. I have thought of a single point sling, and I recently picked up a Noveske end plate to add an extra sling mount (point) to the rifle. I like the Vikings sling because it takes a lot of the forward weight off of your left hand because you can push against it's tension. According to others this is a heavy AR, although it feels fine to me, and is probably a bit lighter (and ergonomic) than my Mini 14.

I haven't ruled out doing my own trigger job, and I have already done one with great succes on my mini. The mini was easy because the trigger group comes out intact. It was easy to identify the surfaces that needed slight modification. I will take some of your advise and educate myself a bit more before I dive into it.

Last edited by BangBangPlay; 08-30-2012 at 14:00.
Old 09-27-2012, 19:27   #6
Last Achievements

Made a couple of changes...
Attached Thumbnails
Got my complete AR, but I am far from finished...-dsc03463.jpg  

Old 09-28-2012, 08:36   #7
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 9.1% Activity: 9.1% Activity: 9.1%
Last Achievements

Good looking rig!!
tommyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 13:04   #8
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
Good looking rig!!
Thanks man! I have been upgrading it piece by piece. My most recent changes were the Magpul CTR stock and Magpul angled grip. I definately prefer the AFG over the vertical grip, it just feels more natural.

I also added a Noveske end plate, but I prefer the sling mount in the buttstock. But it is good to have both available, as they both have their pros and cons. I removed my midwest industries sling mount and decided to go with a Impact Weapons low profile offset sling mount. It offers far more mounting positions than the MI mount, and doesn't get in the way of my left hand.

I still haven't upgraded the trigger, and it may have to wait. I am saving up for an EOTech EXPS-2 or a variant, I am still undecided. But so far so good, I absolutely love this rifle, and am pretty content with my current setup.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:50   #9
Last Achievements

Save some money and just do the trigger job yourself, it's not hard if you follow some basic instructions.

There are many youtube videos, watch about 8 -10 of them, by the time you are done you would have found at least 2 that will be excellent guides to doing your own trigger job. Spending $200 or more for a trigger is just crazy unless you will be competing in matches regularly.....and even then I still find it hard to justify the cost for the small benefit it provides. Save your money and buy a better, lighter, optic that doesn't eat batteries.

Also, once you start using your end plate sling mount you'll quickly discover that the sling will hamper your ability to get your hand onto the pistol grip fast and unobstructed. After trying that method I eventually got the Vltor plate with the side mounted loop, just like this one: VLTOR Single Attachment Sling Endplate, Ambi-Oblong, Enhanced - SASE-2E | eBay
Old 10-01-2012, 20:30   #10
Last Achievements

So I've been to the indoor range a few times since I bought it, my most recent trip was today. I love the rifle and it has functioned flawlessly. It is super easy to clean and maintain and it has been accurate shooting prone. I haven't had time to take it to my outdoor range and shoot it off a rest or long distances.

My one dislike is the trigger which is a short pull, but is heavy and unpredictable. I know that your shot shouldn't be expected but it could be a lot more crisp. I am leaning towards the geiselle ssa-e trigger because I would prefer a 2 stage pull. Other than that I am super happy thus far and I don't girder any other major changes or upgrades. An optic or two is definitely on the horizon though.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:39   #11
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BangBangPlay View Post

My one dislike is the trigger which is a short pull, but is heavy and unpredictable. I know that your shot shouldn't be expected but it could be a lot more crisp. I am leaning towards the geiselle ssa-e trigger because I would prefer a 2 stage pull. Other than that I am super happy thus far and I don't girder any other major changes or upgrades. An optic or two is definitely on the horizon though.
You have a weapon designed for combat, if you wanted a target rifle you should have bought something else. Shoot your rifle more, once you get about 2000 rounds down range you'll have a much better idea of what you NEED and what is frivolous.

Unless you plan on shooting in matches for target accuracy save your money and get a Rock River 2 stage, it'll save you about $100 or more and you'll have a nice 5lb pull....about 2lbs less than a standard AR15 trigger.

Or, you can simply do your existing trigger as I suggested. There are spring kits to make it easy for you.

IMHO, having a fancy, high dollar, 3lb trigger in an AR15 is dangerous if you ever have to use your rifle for the purpose it was designed for.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:43   #12
Last Achievements

I hear ya and I did my own Mini 14 trigger job, and I love it. It is around 4-5 lbs and has little take up travel in the first stage. The second stage is a smooth break. I would love for my AR to have a similar trigger. The current trigger is heavy and sudden. I am not beyond doing my own but I like the idea of having a 2 stage trigger in any of my weapons. Maybe ill go with the SSA instead of the SSA-E, which will offer a slightly harder pull.

That way I would feel better about playing with the stock trigger knowing I have a replacement handy. Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.