AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52   #1
American realist
Points: 7,025, Level: 55 Points: 7,025, Level: 55 Points: 7,025, Level: 55
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

which ammo would best best?

with the current events we're now seeing, i think it may be a good idea to stock up on some ammo & maybe put some into storage for later on down the road before the price/demand goes way up. right now, i'm debating on whether to put a couple K of LC xm193 back or for the same price, maybe a few $$ cheaper, some reman ammo loaded with the 62 grain ss109 or 60 grain v-max tips. these are "factory" type reman, not something billy-bob loaded in the basement. which would you choose for long term storage & reason why? thanks!

The liberals have asked us to give Obama time. 25 to life seems
appropriate!!
Leadpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31   #2
CGS
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%
Last Achievements

I'm considering ordering a barrel, 12,500 rounds of XM855 62 grain steel core. It's the only way you can get the stuff is to buy by the full barrel.

However what you choose to shoot depends greatly on your intended target and on your firearm. Rate of twist would really be the first factor I would choose in the deciding factor on which ammo I buy.

I can't comment on which would be better for long term storage. Personally I "think" either would keep well if stored in a cool dry place in mil-surplus ammo cans. That is generally how I like to store my personal ammo cache. Throw a pack or two of dry decissant (sp?) packs into the ammo can, and it should store well for years. Another trick I heard is packets of dry rice in lieu of the decissant packs. Keeps the moisture from attacking the ammo.
CGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04   #3
Points: 17,504, Level: 84 Points: 17,504, Level: 84 Points: 17,504, Level: 84
Last Achievements

I think the milsurp ammo may store a little better because they use a sealer on the primers.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 17:07   #4
Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8
Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
I think the milsurp ammo may store a little better because they use a sealer on the primers.
that'd have to be my opinion too. the other opinion is, i have recieved surplus, n they come in these large spam can looking things with a can opener type deal. i think they'd be perfect for long term storage.

EDIT: I hear a lot of people having jams and mis fires with steel cased ammo, n a lot of people say not to use it. But I find if you clean your weapon like you should, than you will have no problem, maybe more ware on the barrel than brass ammo.

Last edited by Dustinc10181; 08-07-2012 at 13:05. Reason: Thought I'd add something, spelling issues. lol
Dustinc10181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09   #5
Last Achievements

EDIT: I hear a lot of people having jams and mis fires with steel cased ammo, n a lot of people say not to use it. But I find if you clean your weapon like you should, than you will have no problem, maybe more ware on the barrel than brass ammo.
I shoot a lot of Wolfe steel cased ammo and have no problems at all. You are not going to have any more barrel wear since the projectile is no different than brass cased ammo. Only the cartridge case is steel. The Russians have been using it for a long long time and the AK is considered to be one of the most reliable combat weapons out there.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54   #6
CGS
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%
Last Achievements

It's the lacquered steel that causes the jamming issues with excessive shooting and extreme heats. Most indoor ranges don't like it because it is dirty as hell and puts a stress on their air filter equipment.

I have had some wolf 308 ftf fte in my m1a. I believe it was due to the low velocity of the wolf WPA being very weak and the m1a was very dirty and it didn't have the power to cycle the action. Well the first mag did cycle, the 2nd and 3rd was jam after every other shot. I thoroughly cleaned the m1a, complete detail strip, relube, and have only shot American ammo since with no problem.
CGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09   #7
2 Hawks Tomahawks of Ariz
Points: 2,762, Level: 32 Points: 2,762, Level: 32 Points: 2,762, Level: 32
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Last Achievements

A lot depends on your twist rate in your barrel as to how accurately the ammo you chose will work.

Without that data the best suggestion I can give is to buy 62 gr. ammo, either PRVI Patisan and M855 steel core. 62 grain will shoot well from most all modern Carbine and mid-length AR15s.

For long term storage the TYPE of ammo you select will be less important than the condition you store it in. The shelf life of quality ammo is several decades if stored in a cool dry place.
Gunzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:26   #8
American realist
Last Achievements

sorry it took so long to reply, computer took a dump last week & i'm just now getting back up & running.

i'm running a mid length carbine with the 1:7 twist & have shot everything from 55gr to 75 gr accurately with no problems.

ammo storage will soon be the hidden closet where i kept the guns (just bought a safe for those). i plan on adding a few layers of drywall for extra fire protection & storing everything in military ammo boxes.

appropriate!!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Leadpoison View Post
sorry it took so long to reply, computer took a dump last week & i'm just now getting back up & running.

i'm running a mid length carbine with the 1:7 twist & have shot everything from 55gr to 75 gr accurately with no problems.

ammo storage will soon be the hidden closet where i kept the guns (just bought a safe for those). i plan on adding a few layers of drywall for extra fire protection & storing everything in military ammo boxes.
A lot of them surplus cans like your referring to, seal. So I think it would be a good idea to do that. I have recently become a prepper, I have a shotgun broken down in the tool box of my truck with 100 shell put in my bug out bag (ammo, med packs, tactical shooting gloves (hard knuckled), clothes, boots, tent, lighters, gallon jugs of water, even a 3 day 3 person supply of food, 2 blankets, socks, baby powder, soap, camel pack, n a pot to boil water with). Just in case something does happen, which with the recent events going on might be soon. I have extra mags, my ar, in my closet.

This is because my tool box seals too. But I use the surplus cans for my .223 ammo in my closet n im always adding to that stockpile. so im going to pick up a few more.

I have a 1:9 twist barrel, you got ne pictures of your rifle? Love to see it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - AL
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23   #10
Points: 1,009, Level: 17 Points: 1,009, Level: 17 Points: 1,009, Level: 17
Last Achievements

i'm sticking with the 855 an the 196 think this is what DHS has an order of 250 mill of
Old 08-11-2012, 12:58   #11
American realist
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Dustinc10181 View Post
A lot of them surplus cans like your referring to, seal. So I think it would be a good idea to do that. I have recently become a prepper, I have a shotgun broken down in the tool box of my truck with 100 shell put in my bug out bag (ammo, med packs, tactical shooting gloves (hard knuckled), clothes, boots, tent, lighters, gallon jugs of water, even a 3 day 3 person supply of food, 2 blankets, socks, baby powder, soap, camel pack, n a pot to boil water with). Just in case something does happen, which with the recent events going on might be soon. I have extra mags, my ar, in my closet.

This is because my tool box seals too. But I use the surplus cans for my .223 ammo in my closet n im always adding to that stockpile. so im going to pick up a few more.

I have a 1:9 twist barrel, you got ne pictures of your rifle? Love to see it.
all of my ammo boxes are mil-surps with seals. i'm pretty impressed as i had a major fire in a detatched garage 2 yrs ago. i had 3 boxes burn that were in a pretty hot spot as far as the temps went. 2 boxes were full of m-2 30.06 ball & the third was full of m-855. a handful of the 30.06 went off inside the cans, but were contained & all of the m-855 survived. the cans were trashed, but the contents survived way better than i expected...

my rifle is a CMMG mid length carbine, 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel. i did alot of research before buying & found this one with all the specs i wanted in an ar rifle. so far, it has performed flawlessly...

appropriate!!
Old 08-11-2012, 15:05   #12
Last Achievements

My Windham AR, looked exactly like that one in the picture when I bought it. I've now added quad rail, forward grip, flashlight/laser. Flat Top upper with a carrying handle with sights that attaches and detaches, same as yours. BCM bolt i got ordered, plus bcm charging handle. Bought a smaller rear sight instead of the carrying handle, im going to add some EO Tech sights n magnifier. Magpul rail covers. n thats about it..

Yes, them ammo cans are pretty good. I didn't think they would be able to stand up to fire since I have never had a fire, or anyone ever talk about them lasting in a fire. But as you said that did, I think that is pretty good. Lol never know what may happen, glad your ammo inside survived. as I said on here I am plannig to get a few more. I get them about 8 dollars a piece.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - AL
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18   #13
American realist
Last Achievements

i'll get a pic of the can tomorrow that had 62 rds of 30.06 go off inside its bulged out, but held together pretty well for what it went thru.

i'm keeping my ar pretty well in the stock form. i do have bushnell optics on it now, but that was a freebie from a friend who upgraded his. if it broke tomorrow, i could put the original carry handle/rear sight on in a min. & be back shooting again...

appropriate!!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:08   #14
Points: 10,513, Level: 68 Points: 10,513, Level: 68 Points: 10,513, Level: 68
Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8% Activity: 6.8%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
I shoot a lot of Wolfe steel cased ammo and have no problems at all. You are not going to have any more barrel wear since the projectile is no different than brass cased ammo. Only the cartridge case is steel. The Russians have been using it for a long long time and the AK is considered to be one of the most reliable combat weapons out there.
This is incorrect. Most of those bullets in steel cased Russian ammo are a steel lead filled jacket with a copper wash over them, they will attract a magnet and will cause sparks when hitting rocks or other hard objects. Most US made bullets and made with a copper lead filled jacket.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29   #15
Last Achievements

I stand corrected. I had to get some out and test it to be certain but you are correct.