AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 17:21   #1
Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8
Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3%
Last Achievements

Bushmaster POLYMER AR???/

Just went to the gun shop checking out some of the new AR's in stock, n come across Bushmasters Polymer AR, it has a polymer lower and upper, never seen this before. Its ultra light and was running about 800, but it was on sale for 650, with a mil spec barrel and this one came with a red dot (probably cheap and ill probably throw it away neway) but good quality overall. I was interested if anybody has any input on the polymer they use. I heard 40% lighter, 40% stronger. but people talk so what you guys think/.
Dustinc10181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18   #2
CGS
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%
Last Achievements

Plumbcrazy may have been the first to make the polymer lower. A friend of mine just bought some polymer lowers (2) and brought them over bragging how he paid the same for a complete lower as I sell my stripped aluminum lowers. I forgot what brand it was, but wasn't plumbcrazy.

I told him it very well may have been a good purchase but to let me do a real good inspection after 5,000 rounds to see if there is any wear. Even if he is at all unhappy with his purchase he will never admit it. He's also the kind of guy who will spend 50 hours searching the internet to save $10. Only time will tell if these plastic rifles are a good thing, like the glock pistol. I am sure there were similar discussions going on when Mr. Glock brought his pistol to market, and he wasn't the first plastic pistol maker either. I for one hope it is a good thing, it'll bring down the cost of at least entry level AR's. But -for now- I am sticking with my 7075 Aluminum lowers. I just don't like being a guinnea pig for someone elses theories.

Sorry that is the extent of my knowledge on plastic lowers.

Stronger?! Plastic is STRONGER than metal? That doesn't sound right.

On a slightly off topic, I'm actually going the other direction. I got my hands on some fully dimensioned prints for an AR15 lower and hope to do up a match AR lower and upper in STEEL this winter. Why steel? It's heavier, and this would be for bench rest shooting so a little extra weight is a good thing.
CGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22   #3
Points: 17,504, Level: 84 Points: 17,504, Level: 84 Points: 17,504, Level: 84
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I have seen several polymer lowers broken completely in two where the receiver extension/buffer tube screw into the lower. that is the weak point on any AR lower and there is just not enough polymer there to make it sturdy. that's not to say that Bushmaster hasn't done something to solve this problem, I just don't know enough about them in particular.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49   #4
Last Achievements

I have done a lot of reading on this polymer AR, seems alot of them have cracking issues, I am looking into a different one as of right now. Can't have a weapon ill probably be putting a decent amount of rounds through cracking. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52   #5
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by CGS View Post
Plumbcrazy may have been the first to make the polymer lower. A friend of mine just bought some polymer lowers (2) and brought them over bragging how he paid the same for a complete lower as I sell my stripped aluminum lowers. I forgot what brand it was, but wasn't plumbcrazy.

I told him it very well may have been a good purchase but to let me do a real good inspection after 5,000 rounds to see if there is any wear. Even if he is at all unhappy with his purchase he will never admit it. He's also the kind of guy who will spend 50 hours searching the internet to save $10. Only time will tell if these plastic rifles are a good thing, like the glock pistol. I am sure there were similar discussions going on when Mr. Glock brought his pistol to market, and he wasn't the first plastic pistol maker either. I for one hope it is a good thing, it'll bring down the cost of at least entry level AR's. But -for now- I am sticking with my 7075 Aluminum lowers. I just don't like being a guinnea pig for someone elses theories.

Sorry that is the extent of my knowledge on plastic lowers.

Stronger?! Plastic is STRONGER than metal? That doesn't sound right.

On a slightly off topic, I'm actually going the other direction. I got my hands on some fully dimensioned prints for an AR15 lower and hope to do up a match AR lower and upper in STEEL this winter. Why steel? It's heavier, and this would be for bench rest shooting so a little extra weight is a good thing.
yea i just can't afford to be the guinea pig either, not in my bugget lol. Good luck with your rifle. and thanks for the input, definitely good to know.