AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 20:49   #1
Points: 5,913, Level: 49 Points: 5,913, Level: 49 Points: 5,913, Level: 49
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

anybody ever use the knock off ACOG's

I am cheap! yes I know you have to spend money for quality, but I am poor (according to US standards), so when I buy a scope I look for a bargain!

I saw the ACOG knock offs on ebay Click LINK and think they might be worth a shot, but I'd like a bit more feedback on them. So has anybody tried them?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07   #2
Points: 3,334, Level: 35 Points: 3,334, Level: 35 Points: 3,334, Level: 35
Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1% Activity: 6.1%
Last Achievements

Most of the ACOG, EoTech, or Aimpoint knockoffs, are P.O.S.'s. They are made for airsoft gurus. They will eventually fail due to recoil or vibration. I understand being poor. I am too. My advice is decide between an Aimpoint or EoTech (ACOGs are out of the poor man's budget), and save up the money $25-$50 at a time. You won't save any money buying junk, so save up for what you want, and hone your fundamentals of marksmanship with your iron sights in the mean time. Just my two cents.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15   #3
Last Achievements

Thanks Gunslinger, I've been tempted, but affraid of wasting money.
I'd like to find something 1-4X or 3-9x in the $100 range. I was looking last night at the cabelas cat. and saw their brand caliber specific scopes, wondering if their any good?
Old 07-29-2012, 21:04   #4
Registered Member
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%

Gunslinger makes a great point. You are not going to find quality unless you pay the premium for it.

I have bought from these guys - https://www.primaryarms.com/default.asp. They have their own branded, budget items they import from China. No where near the quality of an ACOG, Aimpoint or EOTech, but they put more effort into their products and inspect every item before it gets to you. I've bought a few items from them and they worked well. They stand behind their products and for budget items, they are nice. I have a couple of their red dots on an AR15 and an AK47 that I have shot alot and not experienced any problems. They were easy to zero and have held up to range use. They also carry the high-end stuff and run some great sales from time-to-time. Get on their email list and save your pennies.

And BTW they ship their items quick. I have ordered from them on a Monday night and received my order on Wednesday.
Chiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 23:13   #5
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Chiwawa View Post
Gunslinger makes a great point. You are not going to find quality unless you pay the premium for it.

I have bought from these guys - https://www.primaryarms.com/default.asp. They have their own branded, budget items they import from China. No where near the quality of an ACOG, Aimpoint or EOTech, but they put more effort into their products and inspect every item before it gets to you. I've bought a few items from them and they worked well. They stand behind their products and for budget items, they are nice. I have a couple of their red dots on an AR15 and an AK47 that I have shot alot and not experienced any problems. They were easy to zero and have held up to range use. They also carry the high-end stuff and run some great sales from time-to-time. Get on their email list and save your pennies.

And BTW they ship their items quick. I have ordered from them on a Monday night and received my order on Wednesday.

I checked those out - they look good! I think I might get one, the prices are in my range!! the other one I was looking a was the Lucid H7 but twice the price of a PA!!
Thanks!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56   #6
(*.:.*)
Points: 8,539, Level: 62 Points: 8,539, Level: 62 Points: 8,539, Level: 62
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by sharky8js View Post
I am cheap! yes I know you have to spend money for quality, but I am poor (according to US standards), so when I buy a scope I look for a bargain!

I saw the ACOG knock offs on ebay Click LINK and think they might be worth a shot, but I'd like a bit more feedback on them. So has anybody tried them?
Even if the counterfeit scope you linked to would hold up - far from certain - the 1.5" eye relief would make it a no-go for me (YMMV).

Bushnell makes a red dot that looks like an ACOG, but it's gotten mixed reviews.

You might want to look at a Kruger Optical 1.5-5x32 Tacdriver Tactical Scope.

Kruger Optical 1.5-5x32 Tacdriver 30mm Tactical Rifle Scope FREE S&H 80701. Kruger Optical Rifle Scopes.

There are not a lot of reviews online, but what there are seem very positive. It has a lighted reticle, that still works as a standard reticle if the battery fails. It's also 1.5 to 5 power and has 3.5" of eye relief.

I have not handled one yet, but decided to order one - as a possible replacement for a red dot.
cma g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:24   #7
Registered Member
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6% Activity: 5.6%

Originally Posted by sharky8js View Post
I checked those out - they look good! I think I might get one, the prices are in my range!! the other one I was looking a was the Lucid H7 but twice the price of a PA!!
Thanks!!!

I discovered these guys doing research on ar15.com. There were alot of positive reviews on their products. The guys that run the business post a great deal there and use that forum to announce new products, when they receive shipments, promotions, and respond to questions. I have called them in the past and they have great customer service. Good luck, I was like you, I wanted to get a nice optic but was short on the funds. I bought a couple of items from them and they have held up well. I still plan to get a true Trijicon ACOG in the future, but their products have filled the need for me until I have the funds to go that route.
Chiwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:17   #8
CGS
Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34 Points: 3,133, Level: 34
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%
Last Achievements

A buddy had a knock off eotech and wouldn't keep zero on a 9mm carbine. I wouldn't use the knockoffs on anything greater than a 22LR.

Buy used or find a dealer who accepts offers on new goods. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap, cry twice.
CGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32   #9
Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8 Points: 431, Level: 8
Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3% Activity: 39.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by CGS View Post
Buy used or find a dealer who accepts offers on new goods. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap, cry twice.
I'd have to agree on this, better to shell out the cash for the first time and it be good, to end up paying out more in the long run to just be geting what you should of bought the first time.
Dustinc10181 is offline   Reply With Quote