LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 15:46   #1
Registered Member
Points: 254, Level: 5 Points: 254, Level: 5 Points: 254, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Remington R-15 VTR *Please Help*

Hi,

Last Spring I bought a brand new Remington R-15 VTR with a 22' barrel from Cabelas. It is my first gun and I bought it to hunt coyotes and coons. Im going on a three week camping trip in July, so I need to fix the problem ASAP.

The Problem:
Steel casing ammo doesnt eject at all and I tried many brands. I now only use Remington UMC brass casing ammo and it never jams or fails to eject with that brand. Unfortunately every shell ejected, even the steel casing ones, has the neck bent flat. 1/3 of the mouth of the casing is bent flat on every casing. Like I said, I am new to firearms so Im not an expert. Im wondering if it is not getting the proper pressure to eject the shells 100% so a bit gets caught and bends flat, also maybe that is why all the steel casing rounds I have put in it jam/fail to eject/or feed.

Thank you for reading and thank you for your help!
JM280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 14:16   #2
S&W M&P Sport !
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Activity: 8.4% Activity: 8.4% Activity: 8.4%
Last Achievements

?

Originally Posted by JM280z View Post
Hi,

Last Spring I bought a brand new Remington R-15 VTR with a 22' barrel from Cabelas. It is my first gun and I bought it to hunt coyotes and coons. Im going on a three week camping trip in July, so I need to fix the problem ASAP.

The Problem:
Steel casing ammo doesnt eject at all and I tried many brands. I now only use Remington UMC brass casing ammo and it never jams or fails to eject with that brand. Unfortunately every shell ejected, even the steel casing ones, has the neck bent flat. 1/3 of the mouth of the casing is bent flat on every casing. Like I said, I am new to firearms so Im not an expert. Im wondering if it is not getting the proper pressure to eject the shells 100% so a bit gets caught and bends flat, also maybe that is why all the steel casing rounds I have put in it jam/fail to eject/or feed.

Thank you for reading and thank you for your help!
I've heard of a few people having this issue when using steel case rounds. This could be caused by the blow back on the gas system. Like you I'm no expert just trying to help a fellow shooter out if I can? I would call a local gun shop and ask them what might be the problem. Wish you luck!
DavidN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02   #3
Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85 Points: 18,331, Level: 85
Last Achievements

I would contact Remington and see if they can help you out. It is still under warranty isn't it?
http://www.remington.com/pages/suppo...-warranty.aspx
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 17:34   #4
Points: 17,044, Level: 83 Points: 17,044, Level: 83 Points: 17,044, Level: 83
Last Achievements

That is weird... Too much pressure on brass cased ammo, but not enough on steel cased ammo. I read that the failure with the steel cased ammo you are experiencing is most likey because the steel cases don't expand in the chamber as brass does, thereby "sealing" the case in the chamber and not allowing excess gas to exit rearward, where the steel case doesn't expand, allowing the gas to escape towards the chamber, causing failure to cycle.

Then, with your brass ammo, it seems you are overpressured. For this, I would recommend looking into either a heavier buffer and/or a Wolff or Tubbs xtra power buffer spring to slow down the cycling and ease the extraction.

But, seeings how you are low on time, I would just recommend calling Remington. Read the owners manual first, because some companies will void your warranty if you shoot any type of ammo they don't recommend you fire, such as steel cased ammo or anything other than "match grade". Good luck!

TG
Old 07-01-2012, 13:49   #5
Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16 Points: 965, Level: 16
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
I would contact Remington and see if they can help you out. It is still under warranty isn't it?
Firearm 2 Year Warranty - Firearm Warranty - Firearm Warranties
+1

Don't have one but have 2 Mini's and 2 AR's and shoot with 2 other people who have AR's. Last time we "swept" our range with a ground magnet we had a five gallon pail of spent steel casings.

We do occasionally have jams but that is a LOT of steel cased ammo and not enough failure to ejects to remember......

.....of course paper and tannerite don't shoot back....

Art
Tazman1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 19:28   #6
Points: 3,101, Level: 34 Points: 3,101, Level: 34 Points: 3,101, Level: 34
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I now only use Remington UMC brass casing ammo and it never jams or fails to eject with that brand.
It is doing as it should not jaming or FTE so your rifle sounds like it has nice tight tolorances in the chamber and

Unfortunately every shell ejected, even the steel casing ones, has the neck bent flat. 1/3 of the mouth of the casing is bent flat on every casing
Every AR I have fired has this happening to the mouth and when you reload it it comes right out the reason it hit the opening of the ejection opening nothing to worry about there. Enjoy and have fun also note that if you install the case deflector to drop the spent casing at your feet it will ding the mouth as well you should see the .308 case out of a Fal.... but you can perform a mod and eliminate the MOUTH KISS FROM HELL....
A-FIXER is offline   Reply With Quote