Perfect Union banner

New to these types of rifles.

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DavidN 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

I have never owned an assault type rifle and have decided now is the time to invest in one. I have decided on the AR format and have a few questions. I would like open sites and a standard (not railed) forearm. However, I would like to have the opportunity to mount optics should I choose to. It would be a scope and not some of the more exotic stuff. I know such uppers exist, but what would be the best configuration? I'm impressed by Daniel Defense, though only because a buddy speaks highly of his. Any thoughts? My price range is no higher than 1,200$. What manufacturers, models etc would y'all suggest, and why?
I very much appreciate y'alls feedback.

Be Well & God Bless,
Jeremy

#2 ·
Daniel Defense makes good rifles and you could probably get one or any number of good branded rifles in the $1,200 ball park if you are patient and do your homework before purchasing. You could get a flat top with a fixed front sight, and pick up a decent fixed or folding rear sight, this would be best for giving you the most options. This would save you some money but still allow you to mount a scope, red dot, or switch to open sights if needed (a fixed carry handle usually puts the scope to high for most people's comfort). Simpler has been better for me, I don't have any AR's with railed forearms, but all of mine are flat tops, however people's wants and needs do differ. If you are wanting to run higher powered optics then a flat top with a railed gas block would give you more room to work with.

#3 ·
It sounds like what you want is a flat top model with removeable carry handle (A3-A4). The rear sight is mounted in the carry handle but you can remove it and install a scope in it's place. There are many models available in your price range. Look at Bushmaster, Spikes Tactical, BCM, Smith and Wesson M&P15, like I said, there are many, too many to list. I have heard of several people buying the S&W for around $650 lately but I don't know where they bought them from. I have no first hand knowledge of the S&W but I have heard a lot from happy owners and my Local gun shop owner about their quality. It would probably be easier to find something you like the looks of and then ask about a particular model since there are so many. Models to stay away from would be Model One sales, Olympic, just off the top of my head, again, I don't have first hand knowledge of those either, just have heard a lot of people say to avoid them. I have a Bushmaster Patrolman model and love it. It eats what ever ammo you feed it and has never given me a problem. It does not come with removable carry handle but they have plenty of other modes that do.

#4 ·
look into a 20 inch a4 rifle . I know carbines are all the rage but the 20 inch was what the round was designed for . it gives you a longer sight radius plus softer recoil and not as much beating on the bolt as a carbine . the good news is you can find a quality rifle for under 1000 pretty easy in this configuration . armalite, colt, bushmaster , rock river , stag and palmetto state all have this model for 1000.00 or less . I also think you can get a bravo company 20 incher for around a grand . you wont have to worry about the front sight post if you are going to put a scope on it since any magnification above 3 power the front sight will dissapear. I would make sure I got a detachable carry handle so I could shoot with iron sights if I so wanted. just a side note I saw a stag at the local black gun store the other day for 875.00 and while I dont own one I was impressed enough that I may soon have another addition to the safe.

#5 ·
The manufacturers mentioned already are very good options.

However, I'd suggest taking a serious look at Rock River Arms (RRA).

They're competitively priced, and you will not be disappointed with how they shoot. In fact, if you go to the National Matches at Camp Perry, you will find many RRA AR-15's in the hands of shooters on the firing line.

Of course, you will find other well-known brands there as well, such as Bushmaster, White Oak Armament, Armalite, etc., but RRA is definitely represented quite well.

From what you've listed as your budget, I'd recommend the following two RRA AR-15's for your consideration:

RRA LAR-15 Mid-Length A4

RRA LAR-15 Standard A4

Keep in mind, the "modularity" of the AR-15 shooting platform is what makes it EXTREMELY versatile. So, you can certainly change around the configuration of the rifle to meet your needs/wants.

Welcome to the Dark Side! ;)

#8 ·
For that price you can get a Colt No one regrets buying a Colt.
Bravo Company makes a great carbine.
RRA and Bushmaster are over priced for what you get compared to others.
PSA is putting out decent rifles at good prices.
Dave N

#9 ·
Agree

I do agree with a lot of good Rifles out there. I just LOVE the M&P and for $1200 with everything the way I wanted I went with it. I shoot Colt's everyday with my job and they are nice " just not for me" no offense. With all the brands on the market somewhere somehow each to there own on a brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.