AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 14:42   #1
Full Member
Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 289
Eotech clone

Has anyone had any real experience with these? Everyone always says "save your pennies and buy the real thing" and I agree, but I am just wanting to hear from people who have actually tried them, held them, held one AND an eotech. Any quality differences? I have heard they hold a good zero.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 16:49   #2
Full Member
Points: 10,961, Level: 69 Points: 10,961, Level: 69 Points: 10,961, Level: 69
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Mannlicher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 370
Save your pennies and buy the real thing.
__________________
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Bonnie Blue, may she proudly wave forever
Mannlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 18:25   #3
Full Member
Points: 6,901, Level: 54 Points: 6,901, Level: 54 Points: 6,901, Level: 54
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%
Last Achievements
 
3GUNNAH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 244
EO-tech's are nice I have had a couple. But AimPoint's are better, forget the Eo-tech and buy an AimPoint! You will not regret it.
__________________
WWGGD?

WAIT........Are you saying you DON'T own a Glock?!!!!
3GUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 21:58   #4
Full Member
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,162
There are complaints about the clones on some of the AR forums I've been on. One guy has two dots on his. ???

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 22:19   #5
Full Member
Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
There are complaints about the clones on some of the AR forums I've been on. One guy has two dots on his. ???

Jim
Thank you, now this is what I want to hear.
Mannlicher, someone had to lol

Really? WTEFF? Two dots? Hey as long as one was in the center haha
Other than that, they seem to be OK is what I have heard.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39   #6
Full Member
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,162
Also, cheap Chinese batteries that burned a state trooper and destroyed his Glock when it expired. If you want something to stake your life on, do you really want to go with a knockoff? I went cheap, but I got two Tasco Silver Stag red dot scopes. They work great, and I haven't had any problems with them in the past year. One even handled 3" 12 gauge slugs and buckshot.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21   #7
Full Member
Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
There's a reason they're referred to as clones, they're never as good as the original!

Just because they're referred to as: Red Dot, Reflex, holographic (non EoTech), doesn't mean that they are worth the $30 or $100 you pay for them!

I'll gladly pay $300, again, without questions, for the dependability that I expect, from a name brand that I trust, as a user/believer in the product since 1989: EoTech!
QuixDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:51   #8
Full Member
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,162
What kills me is I used to work for L3. I could have probably gotten an employee discount on one of these.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25   #9
Full Member
Points: 3,590, Level: 37 Points: 3,590, Level: 37 Points: 3,590, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Twolves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 178
I have an EoTech 511 that's mounted on my SBR. For close quarters combat, you can't beat them for my money. The only problem with it is that it eventually drains the batteries even when not in use. It does let you know before they're going to go, however, so you have plenty of time to replace them. I've got a Tasco Pro Point also that I use on my AR with a dedicated .22 upper. It's always performed perfectly but I'm not sure I'd bet my life on it. The clones, etc. are fine if you're only plinking at the range but if your life is on the line, you won't regret the extra money you spent for the best.
Twolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:52   #10
Full Member
Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%
Last Achievements
 
SevenMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 410
I've had a Bushnell Holo Sight for two years now.

So far it's been on my .308 AP4, my 10/22, and my 20ga without any issues.

Two notes if you decide to get one of these though.

-1. Put tape over the windage adjustment just to make sure it doesn't move.
-2. Take the batteries out when not in use because it will drain them.

These are good sights for the money but there is a reason the Military uses EoTechs and AimPoints

Last edited by SevenMM; 10-07-2009 at 12:55.
SevenMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08   #11
Full Member
Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by SevenMM View Post
I've had a Bushnell Holo Sight for two years now.

So far it's been on my .308 AP4, my 10/22, and my 20ga without any issues.

Two notes if you decide to get one of these though.

-1. Put tape over the windage adjustment just to make sure it doesn't move.
-2. Take the batteries out when not in use because it will drain them.

These are good sights for the money but there is a reason the Military uses EoTechs and AimPoints
You do know that EoTech manufactures the Holosight, and Bushnell only puts their name on it, right? They're not 2 different things.

I'm only on my 3rd set of N batteries, in 5 years of constant use, and I've never taken them out to prevent drainage. Which batteries are you using, SevenMM?

Last edited by QuixDraw; 10-08-2009 at 07:16.
QuixDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30   #12
Full Member
Points: 9,814, Level: 66 Points: 9,814, Level: 66 Points: 9,814, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
DrewArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,501
I also heard that Bushnell manufactures Burris, could that be true?
__________________
[SIGPIC]http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=1559NTiut&i=1086386[/SIGPIC]
DrewArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:54   #13
Full Member
Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 289
Everyone, I know Eotech rocks the world. I already knew that. I know they are the tits and nothing beats them, except aimpoint, and even then it's pretty much user preference.
I don't want to know when the batteries will die.
I want to know if anyone has put a clone on their AR, and has some good or even bad to say about it.
I appreciate the replies but my goal was to see if anyone has had first hand experience with a clone, and has something good to say about them.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:04   #14
Full Member
Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Everyone, I know Eotech rocks the world. I already knew that. I know they are the tits and nothing beats them, except aimpoint, and even then it's pretty much user preference.
I don't want to know when the batteries will die.
I want to know if anyone has put a clone on their AR, and has some good or even bad to say about it.

I appreciate the replies but my goal was to see if anyone has had first hand experience with a clone, and has something good to say about them.
For the question you asked, and from the responses you've received, it looks like most are trying to encourage you not to waste your money on the clones, only to save you from disappointment or regret.

If you choose to ignore what others are trying to help you with, only you will have to accept the results of your own decision.

Either way, whatever you choose, Joey, we wish you Good Luck!
QuixDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08   #15
Full Member
Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by DrewArtist View Post
I also heard that Bushnell manufactures Burris, could that be true?
Possible, don't know for sure, but this is interesting, anyway:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm
QuixDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:16   #16
Full Member
Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by QuixDraw View Post
For the question you asked, and from the responses you've received, it looks like most are trying to encourage you not to waste your money on the clones, only to save you from disappointment or regret.

If you choose to ignore what others are trying to help you with, only you will have to accept the results of your own decision.

Either way, whatever you choose, Joey, we wish you Good Luck!
Lol, I know this. I know they are. I know not to waste my money on clones. I just want one for the time being, then when I have enough cash for the real thing, I will buy it.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 20:01   #17
Full Member
Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements
 
HighDesertWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cherry, AZ
Posts: 1,482
eotech clone? or are you talking about the bushnell holosight?
__________________
HighDesertWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 20:07   #18
Full Member
Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements
 
HighDesertWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cherry, AZ
Posts: 1,482
Originally Posted by QuixDraw View Post
Possible, don't know for sure, but this is interesting, anyway:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm

ive been curious if maybe burris and bushnell contract the same plant in the phillipines to make their stuff. but burris and bushnell are infact two separate companies.
__________________
HighDesertWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 00:31   #19
Full Member
Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 289
I am talking a full on clone. one that is not made by eotech like the bushnell is. Full on, probably chinese made.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:37   #20
Full Member
Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements
 
HighDesertWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cherry, AZ
Posts: 1,482
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I am talking a full on clone. one that is not made by eotech like the bushnell is. Full on, probably chinese made.

where have you seen one? if its like 30 bucks id buy one especially if it runs off AA batteries that would be pretty sweet. would be a definite improvement from my $30 "chinese made POS" BSA red dots the 2032 coin cell batteries are expensive like 9 bucks for a 3 pack, 9 bucks would buy a 18 pack AA's
__________________
HighDesertWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:43   #21
Full Member
Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements
 
HighDesertWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cherry, AZ
Posts: 1,482
Originally Posted by QuixDraw View Post
There's a reason they're referred to as clones, they're never as good as the original!

Just because they're referred to as: Red Dot, Reflex, holographic (non EoTech), doesn't mean that they are worth the $30 or $100 you pay for them!

I'll gladly pay $300, again, without questions, for the dependability that I expect, from a name brand that I trust, as a user/believer in the product since 1989: EoTech!

yep you are so self righteous..... why dont ya go be another preacher on Barf.com nobody normal likes shelling out 300 clams. funny thing is I bet ya all the internal electronic components of an eotech are made in china or taiwan..
__________________
HighDesertWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43   #22
Full Member
Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by HighDesertWolf View Post
yep you are so self righteous..... why dont ya go be another preacher on Barf.com nobody normal likes shelling out 300 clams. funny thing is I bet ya all the internal electronic components of an eotech are made in china or taiwan..
Whoa, brother, when I first saw the Holosight, and decided that I wanted one, it took me 1 Year and 6 Months to save "300 clams", before I could buy it, so I'm not one of the Barf.com gun snobs you think I am, as just a normal guy who works harder and longer hours to make extra money, to buy equipment that will help me improve, and not settle for less, unless I have to.

Even if the parts are made, or products are assembled overseas, I still prefer being able to see a Fine/Clear red dot that is much more capable of accuracy, instead of seeing a Blurry/Distorted/Multiple red dot that is not.

As for being "so self righteous", I allow other people (mostly strangers/other shooters at the range) to shoot my 10/22 more than I do, for them to experience the Holosight for themselves, and to notice what an improvement it does for their own skills.
I've seen many guys not able to hit the paper @25yds or 50yds, with their own guns, trying to sight in, but after I let them try mine, they were amazed how they could consistently hit small targets (broken clay pigeons, 20oz plastic bottle caps, etc.) on the berm @100yds, using the Holosight!

So, I'm not bragging about my shooting skills, or about being rich, or being better than anyone else, just trying to offer a helpful opinion to a fellow shooter, that could help him notice his own improvements.

10rds, 50yds, rapidfire (not even trying), 10/22, Holosight, bench, bipod, no rear rest:



I doubt I could do that with a $30 red dot sight. The gun is capable, but not necessarily the sight, if you can't focus through it!

Last edited by QuixDraw; 10-09-2009 at 11:40.
QuixDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02   #23
Full Member
Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%
Last Achievements
 
SevenMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Woods of Wisconsin
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by QuixDraw View Post
You do know that EoTech manufactures the Holosight, and Bushnell only puts their name on it, right? They're not 2 different things.

I'm only on my 3rd set of N batteries, in 5 years of constant use, and I've never taken them out to prevent drainage. Which batteries are you using, SevenMM?
That's great! but doesn't change anything I said. The holo sights are still cheaper then an EoTech. So again there must be a reason the Military chose to use one and not the other.

I use two AAA batteries in my holo sight and if I leave the batteries in they are dead after two months of sitting unused (sight shuts off after awhile so I'm not just forgetting to turn it off).
SevenMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35   #24
Full Member
Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28 Points: 2,165, Level: 28
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by SevenMM View Post
That's great! but doesn't change anything I said. The holo sights are still cheaper then an EoTech. So again there must be a reason the Military chose to use one and not the other.

I use two AAA batteries in my holo sight and if I leave the batteries in they are dead after two months of sitting unused (sight shuts off after awhile so I'm not just forgetting to turn it off).
I'm not arguing or disagreeing with you, at all, just giving my experience/opinion.

EoTech Holosight or Bushnell Holosight= 1 in the same, to me, for quality and dependability, whether you buy a used one for $150, or a new one for $500.
Just my opinion, not that it matters.
QuixDraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 14:46   #25
Full Member
Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37 Points: 3,635, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 289
Can one person out there tell of their experience with an eotech clone?
Anybody? Back to the topic please?
I do thank you all for testifying your love with the eotech, but I must hear some testifying of the clones. Good or bad, I just wanna hear from some first hand experiencing.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
All information is copyright by Perfectunion.com unless already under copyright.

This site is Gunny Approved