LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 22:41   #1
Points: 2,661, Level: 31 Points: 2,661, Level: 31 Points: 2,661, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

RRA vs. Stag

RRA vs. Stag

I'm finally ready to jump in the world of AR-15's I'm looking at:

Rock River Arms - Entry Tactical (or at least a stripped lower)

OR

Stag - Model 2 (Right handed) (or at least a stripped lower)

Does anyone have an opinion which way to go, I go see that Stag offers a lifetime warranty, I also realize that Mil-Spec is Mil-Spec and all that but then there's the real world experience...

Please feel free to give me your opinion and/or experiences with these brands.

Cheers,

Paul-K
Paul-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 23:42   #2
Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42 Points: 4,386, Level: 42
Last Achievements

both are excellent rifles.........good luck getting either one in todays market or be ready to pay.
quickblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:36   #3
Points: 8,008, Level: 60 Points: 8,008, Level: 60 Points: 8,008, Level: 60
Last Achievements

Most, if not all, of RRA's parts are made by CMT. Stag is owned by CMT. Other than roll marks, they're pretty much the same rifle. I believe they both use Wilson barrels as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 13:39   #4
Points: 9,814, Level: 66 Points: 9,814, Level: 66 Points: 9,814, Level: 66
Last Achievements

To start off you need to understand that you are looking at least 9 months to a year if you place an order through either company. You might get it sooner if you are lucky. My advice would be to gather a list of dealers that Stag or RRA deals with and start calling to see if they have a Stripped Lowers, Lower Halves or full rifles. You might need to cover a lot of ground. Also ask if they have they have placed orders and if these dealers can put you on a waiting list. As what Snaz said, both rifles will be relatively the same. I would say pick the roll mark that you like more. I ordered a Stag 6.8mm lower & LPK and I wont see either any earlier then September 09 but I have a friend that just picked up a RRA Lower half and then searched for RRA dealers and found a Entry Tactical upper to match all in one week. I am not going to say itís going to be that easy for you, but he did it. He did though tell me that he e-mailed 22 RRA dealers and only got 3 responses back.
-Heads up, if you buy a full rifle you will receive their lifetime warranty if you donít shoot anything beside brass. But if you piece meal a rifle and just start off with a stripped lower the warranty will not be held up. I hope this helps and if you can buy a stripped lower buy two while you are at it or if you are buying a full rifle add a stripped lower to the order. Trust me you canít just have one.
Old 04-16-2009, 19:17   #5
Points: 2,456, Level: 30 Points: 2,456, Level: 30 Points: 2,456, Level: 30
Last Achievements

I agree with the above statement....locate a stripped lower if you can. I have built rifles from stripped RRA and Stag lowers. In my opinion, they are both high quality receivers. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:50   #6
Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66 Points: 9,693, Level: 66
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%
Last Achievements

Paul-K,

Welcome to the Dark Side! The world of the "black rifle" is addictive, to say the least.

I agree with the others who have said that you may have a hard time coming by AR-15 parts at this time.

With that said, there ARE parts out there. You just have to look around.

With regards to your question about "RRA vs. Stag Arms", I can only speak about my experience with the RRA brand. I don't own any Stag Arms branded items.

According to snaz567, RRA gets their parts from CMT (continental machine tool), and Stag Arms is owned by CMT. Moreover, if they both use Wilson barrels (I know RRA does), then you're really comparing the same two rifles, with regards to quality of parts.

In short, I feel that RRA has excellent quality. I own and have shot several different styles of RRA AR-15's (tactical, standard, varmint uppers). They have met, and frankly exceeded, my expectations.

With that said, I've started to come to the conclusion that there are other brands out there that could get you in the same ballpark that RRA, Stag, Olympic, DPMS, etc. get you in.

Yes, they're somewhat no-name brands, but every company starts with a small following, and then grows from there. As such, they're worth a looksie.

My awesome "find" has been Roggio Arsenal. In fact, I've built-out two of their lower receivers, and married them with two different RRA upper halves (20" Standard A4 stainless barrel / 16" Entry Tactical A4 with chrome-moly barrel).

In short, they perform flawlessly. And, they fit the RRA uppers perfectly. And, aside from some VERY minor imperfections in the stamping, I can't tell the difference between the Roggio Arsenal and my RRA lowers.

In fact, you may want to check out another post that I've put on PU:
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showt...069#post531069

(FYI...I get into my opinions a bit more in that one.)

Why consider so no-name brands? Well, two reason...1) availability; & 2) price.

Right now, you may have a hard time finding all the parts you need to build a rifle. So, you may have to buy a complete rifle. If you go this route, obviously, you're ability to "customize" is a bit limited. But, you can always swap things around later on.

My advice is to get a lower receiver, get a lower receiver parts kit (or two), find a good upper half that suits your need/taste, and decide on what type of buttstock you want.

Then, get to building your rifle!

Keep in mind, you may have to get some specialty tools to build your rifle, but there are work-arounds. But, I'm a tool-junkie, so I bought what was recommended. This made my builds go very smoothly.

FYI...check out this PU link for how to build-out an AR-15 lower receiver:
AR-15 Stripped Lower Assembly

Aside from that, if you get stuck, or have questions, post them here. There's a lot of good knowledge that you can get from PU. Heck, I've learned a TON from this message board.

Good luck!

Cheers,

alaj70

Last edited by alaj70; 04-18-2009 at 07:54.
alaj70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10   #7
Points: 2,456, Level: 30 Points: 2,456, Level: 30 Points: 2,456, Level: 30
Last Achievements

I agree with everything alaj70 stated above.
I purchased the tools needed when I assembled my first AR. I got them all from Brownells and overall they were not overly expensive, especially if you plan on building more than one rifle.

I was checking out Brownell's website and they have some AR lowers from various manufacturers in stock. You can purchase one and have it shipped to your local FFL.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:28   #8
Last Achievements

Has anyone picked up a Essential Arms match receivers in the last few months? I have been really thinking about ordering a matched upper & Lower but I can't seem to place the order. I always fall back wanting to get a Mega upper & lower, but I have had a really hard time finding them. I REALLY want a Grizzly Lower, anyone seen them out on the marked any place?

You can also find Stag and RRA stripped lowers on the market right now.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54   #9
Last Achievements

Thanks to everyone!

I picked up a stripped Stag lower from DD's ranch, then went to the Reno show and got a new 16" Bushmaster upper (flat top) with bolt and charging handle for $795.00 (is that a fair price?). I also got a butt stock, lower parts kit, bullet button, rear iron sight and a budget holographic sight. Now I just need a C-Products 10 round magazine (I live in CA) and buffer that fits into butt stock spring. I'd really like to get an RRA 2-stage trigger but can't seem to find them but I guess that's have the fun of AR's, I can always upgrade a part or feature at a time.

Thanks again!

Paul-K

Last edited by Paul-K; 04-19-2009 at 11:03. Reason: grammer
Old 04-19-2009, 15:23   #10
Last Achievements

PKFirearms had RRA 2-stage LPK's in stock yesterday.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/start.aspx

I'm sure they'll go fast, if they're not already gone...
Old 04-19-2009, 15:25   #11
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by DrewArtist View Post
Has anyone picked up a Essential Arms match receivers in the last few months?
I believe Blender Wizard here as gotten a few since election time.
Old 04-19-2009, 16:27   #12
Last Achievements

I was looking at them because you can get a stripped lower and upper matched for $185.
Old 04-19-2009, 16:31   #13
Last Achievements

Dang, they must be gone already, I don't seem to find any mention of them. Thanks tho!
Paul-K
Old 04-19-2009, 16:34   #14
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Paul-K View Post
Dang, they must be gone already, I don't seem to find any mention of them. Thanks tho!
Paul-K
Here you go buddy,
http://www.essentialarms.com/KITSANDMATCHSETS.html
Old 04-19-2009, 20:41   #15
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I agree with everything alaj70 stated above.
I purchased the tools needed when I assembled my first AR. I got them all from Brownells and overall they were not overly expensive, especially if you plan on building more than one rifle.

I was checking out Brownell's website and they have some AR lowers from various manufacturers in stock. You can purchase one and have it shipped to your local FFL.
Sonny,

Firstly, thanks for the kind words.

Also, you're right...Brownells is a great place for AR-15 tools. Essentially, I got all of my "specialty" tools there (e.g punches, pivot pin tool, front sight block, upper & lower receiver vice blocks, combination wrench, torque wrench, etc.). Great quality stuff.

Admittedly, I spent a small chunk of change on them, but as I've stated, I'm a tool-junkie, so I didn't really mind.

Besides, I knew there was going to be more than one "project" for me to use them on. Moreover, once you have the tools, you can maintain and update/upgrade your AR-15 at will.

Yes, Brownells also has some lower receivers from various manufacturers, including my "pick", Roggio Arsenal. Here's a link for it:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...p=27173&st=&s=

Anyway, check them all out. And, see what you like.

And, keep in mind, while I would never take anything away from RRA, Stag Arms, DPMS, CCMG, etc., etc., etc., some of these less-known brands are very good too (IMHO, based on my own experience). So, give them a second look.

Aside from that, get your parts now, while you can. You never know what the next four years is going to hold for our 2nd Amendment rights.

Cheers,

alaj70
Old 04-19-2009, 20:51   #16
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Paul-K View Post
Thanks to everyone!

I picked up a stripped Stag lower from DD's ranch, then went to the Reno show and got a new 16" Bushmaster upper (flat top) with bolt and charging handle for $795.00 (is that a fair price?). I also got a butt stock, lower parts kit, bullet button, rear iron sight and a budget holographic sight. Now I just need a C-Products 10 round magazine (I live in CA) and buffer that fits into butt stock spring. I'd really like to get an RRA 2-stage trigger but can't seem to find them but I guess that's have the fun of AR's, I can always upgrade a part or feature at a time.

Thanks again!

Paul-K
Paul-K,

Best of luck with the new Stag lower. Good choice.

It sounds like you got a fairly decent deal on the upper, based on the availability at this time. Unfortunately, this is classic "supply and demand" happening right now.

In fact, 1-2 years ago, you probably could have built an entire rifle for about $800. But, don't fret...I'm in the same boat as you. I waited, until recently to start making my purchases. So, I've been paying premium with ya.

As I see it though, this is a purchase that you will receive several benefits from for many, many years to come. In fact, you'll probably have this rifle to give to your own kinfolk down the road. So, think of it as an investment.

Besides, going forward, I'm betting that AR-15's will hold their value.

Happy shooting, and check back with some pics, once you get the rifle done.

Cheers,

alaj70