AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 15:55   #1
Points: 10,564, Level: 68 Points: 10,564, Level: 68 Points: 10,564, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Anyone
I have two types of 30 rounders for my bushy. Both are GI issue but one is a pre ban model the others are post ban and are marked "military or law enforcement only" Is there a legal issue with these? I can probably trade them since most soldiers have a bunch they found out in training areas. I ran into a couple of preban magazines this weekend just looking though drawers at work for a nail. Also the pawn shops around any base are full of them along with 15 rounders for the M9 (to bad I have a ruger)

Jeff

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:46   #2
Points: 10,742, Level: 68 Points: 10,742, Level: 68 Points: 10,742, Level: 68
Last Achievements

I have two types of 30 rounders for my bushy. Both are GI issue but one is a pre ban model the others are post ban and are marked "military or law enforcement only" Is there a legal issue with these?
If you are a civilian, then that is a big issue for you.

I can probably trade them since most soldiers have a bunch they found out in training areas.
Be careful receiving US Property this way. In most cases it is a felony.
mikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 14:46   #3
Points: 13,151, Level: 74 Points: 13,151, Level: 74 Points: 13,151, Level: 74
Last Achievements

Ditto. Big issue! Have the mods delete the the post and loose them.
Swordslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 20:55   #4
Points: 6,321, Level: 51 Points: 6,321, Level: 51 Points: 6,321, Level: 51
Last Achievements

I'll buy them from you.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:52   #5
Last Achievements

I am active duty military. Mags aren't really considered much of an issue. It is hard to train without loosing some. The pawnshops are full of them and a lot of units have the soldiers store them at home. They are generally treated like TA-50 (your rucksack etc). In fact pre ban they were treated like an expendable item and where just given away like almost like office supplies. Since the ban the prices went way up and now there is generally some accountability required and sometimes soldiers will have to pay for them if they loose them and cannot find one somewhere. Pistol magazines are a little tighter but I think they cost more. No one stole these I can't even tell you where most of the ones I have had came from. They are like that extra canteen or web belt just something picked up over the years. Even those I saw in the drawers this weekend, were the personal property of coworkers. This unit does not have soldiers keep thier magazine between ranges since we work in an office. The question was not about acquiring them I know I can do that, also I can own them, just like I own some of my other gear. The question is, Are the marked ones legal to use in my civilian weapon?

Jeff

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:20   #6
Points: 10,742, Level: 68 Points: 10,742, Level: 68 Points: 10,742, Level: 68
Last Achievements

I am not sure of the legalities for your POW, however if used on base, you are probably ok. Off base, if caught with them, I am unsure if most LEO's are well-versed in that area of law and hopefully would just leave you alone. Hopefully come Sept all of this will just go away. Almost all of the ones I have here are "preban", I think I have only seen 3 here on base that were marked so far.
mikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:03   #7
Points: 9,182, Level: 64 Points: 9,182, Level: 64 Points: 9,182, Level: 64
Last Achievements

The magazine are a big issue - if marked military or law enforcement. Being in law enforcement - when I purchased weapons - I had to sign my life away - stating that I would not give or sell the marked magazines. When I leave law enforcement - I am required to leave the magazine with the department I work for. PERIOD - do not think for a minute - although we may be little fish - ATF would not hang you out to dry - if caught with these magazines............Very sad......
Certified Police Range Master/Instructor
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 14:04   #8
Last Achievements

'preciate it coyote that is what I am looking for. I only have two of the marked ones. I haven't taken them to the range yet. Interesting we are normally absolutely anal about telling troops what they can and cannot do but I have never seen or heard anything about magazines. Now I really wish I hadnít traded away those prebans.

Jeff