AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2004, 19:29   #1
Points: 6,465, Level: 52 Points: 6,465, Level: 52 Points: 6,465, Level: 52
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I just purchased a pre-ban SP-1 and need some optical assistance (yes, I'm old and can't see very well). I'd like to keep the Colt "package" and get a 3X20 or 4X20. Are they acceptable? I won't be shooting over 200 yards. What is a reasonable amount to pay for one? Where's the best place to buy it? Thanks, Bill
kidsgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 21:05   #2
Points: 9,182, Level: 64 Points: 9,182, Level: 64 Points: 9,182, Level: 64
Last Achievements

kidsgun - it all depends on what you really want and are willing to spend. I have two scopes for my AR. Both are Weavers (come to think of it all my scopes are Weaver - hummm maybe I have stock in Weaver) anyhow - 6 x 24 and a 1 x 3. I usually only shoot at 100 yards as my AR is a tatical unit. My groups with the 1 x 3 are not 1/2" groups. But with the AR rested with my bipod - I can shoot a full magazine - 20 rounds into a two inch circle with all 20 rounds. One shot after the other. The 6 x 24 will get 1/2" groups - slow shooting and matched rounds. So to me it just depends on how fast and how good of groups you want.

Good scopes: man
I like Weavers
Simmons are pretty good
Buris well made
Leopoid ( reallllly good but awful costly)

Check this site out for scopes:
http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp
Certified Police Range Master/Instructor
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 22:36   #3
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Kidsgun, I stuck a VX 1 Leupold on mine ( Bushmaster A3 w/ flattop) with the bushy risers and burris rings. Very accurate, great eye relief. Scope: $190, risers from Bushmaster:$15, and the rings were $29. The risers were an afterthought since I didn't like the cheekweld I was getting with just 1" rings. Very accurate, fast sighting due to the great eye relief. 2" box will hold all my shots from a rest at 200 yards
Old 01-10-2004, 09:35   #4
Points: 6,465, Level: 52 Points: 6,465, Level: 52 Points: 6,465, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Thanks Coyote and Gossman. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm leaning toward using a Leupold 3X9X40 which I happen to currently have in my safe. I want to attach the scope to the carry handle and not damage it in any way. Midsouth's newest catalog shows a "B-Square " mount on p.48 which appears to be held in place by a thumb screw. With 1" rings (see-thru) and my Leupold, will I get the kind of assistance I need without damaging the Colt? Thanks, Bill
kidsgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 15:48   #5
Points: 10,564, Level: 68 Points: 10,564, Level: 68 Points: 10,564, Level: 68
Last Achievements

Gossman
I posted my latest before seeing your post. What kind of rings? Did you try your's without the blocks? You didn't say how powerful the scope is I have a 2X7 VX1 on my Mini and a rifleman 4X12 on my .17. I love being able to dial down to 2X but it sure is nice having the 12X on the .17 for the fine work. Also have you tried taking swaping back and forth between the scope off and carring handle. What does that do to your Zero? Mine has the heavy stainless barel and shoots great.

Jeff

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:25   #6
Points: 9,593, Level: 65 Points: 9,593, Level: 65 Points: 9,593, Level: 65
Last Achievements

I have a Leupold 6-18 x 40 on my flattop 24" heavy barrel. It's mounted with Millet rings. So far I've had no problem with this setup and I can even hit something with it.
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 19:28   #7
Last Achievements

Jeff'

Answer to your questions: Scope: Leupold VX1 3x9x40 Rings: Burris 1"
Yes I shot my rifle with the scope for awhile without risers, it was uncomfortable because of the low setting of the scope. The risers work great and increase the cheekweld. Moving back and forth from the handle to the scope has very little difference on the zero. The front sight is never an issue. I shot it Saturday in a NRA match 600 yard prone, everything worked well, the scope was enough for the competition. I am going to shot the rifle again in an over the course match ( 3 position, 200, 300, and 600 yards) with the carrying handle ( scopes not allowed ) and I will see what it will do. Should be much better groups than I get with the M1. I have the standard target barrel on my Bushy A3, what I would like is a better two stage trigger. Since the A3 handle has limited adjustment, I will mor than likely have to adjust the front sight for the 600 yard course. By the way, I am NOT an expert but I enjoy the competition and I think everyone should try their hand at highpower comps. The people are great and do not mind helping the newbie ( unless they are afraid of losing ) and want more shooters to join in. I just shoot at the local matches at the clubs in the metro area.
Old 01-18-2004, 19:40   #8
Last Achievements

gossman
Thanks exactly what I was asking. Someday I need to find time where they shoot highpower around here (el paso) we have the ranges for it but no one is doing it that I know of.

Jeff

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 01-18-2004, 20:12   #9
Last Achievements

Don't wait too long, I didn't get back into shooting till last year when I joined a club with a friend. I am 44 years old, with an artificial hip because of an accident. I don't have the mobility but I still have fun. My eyes are lousy but all I need to see is the black circle, quarter with the scope or take a 6 o'clock hold with open sights and cut loose. I was using the Am Eagle 55 gr fmjbt I bought for $2.99 a box and they worked fine at 600. At 200-300 they are great. Blackhills 68 gr are suppose to be the cats meow, they gave some at the comp to try but I have heard that they don't group as well out of the 9 twist I got. Check the ranges around your area, they keep it quiet but I looked up the guy that is charge of the highpower discipline. You also might find something on the NRA website. Usually you have to be a NRA member to shoot, but a $10 associate membership works if you don't want the magazine. It will take three matches before you get a card stating what level you are at so you will be lumped in with the big boys for the first few matches. No big deal. Also check out if they have CMP matches. If they do, that will be a link to the highpower matches. Good Luck and Get out and Shoot
Old 01-19-2004, 06:46   #10
Last Achievements

gossman
I am a member of the NRA and of the TSRA. I will check and see what they have listed. I know there is a CMP afiliated club in town. going to a nearby town is out of the question in El Paso there is no such thing. I shoot about twice a month at the Ft Bliss Rod and Gun club with my son. They hava about 14 different ranges out to 1,000. They have a lot of informal competition but as far as I know no highpower.

Jeff