• 1 Post By Marlin 45 carbine
  • 1 Post By rutro
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By COBrien
  • 1 Post By dh1633pm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 15:01   #1

Finaly got some range time....

I got to shoot the "new", 20" full stock free float I built about 2 years ago. That and the 16" carbine I've had for a long time, just re-barreled with an AR Stoner Midway nitrided barrel.
I'm loving the 20", just need a little better trigger. I ordered the improved trigger set from Midway and a set of light springs. I'll see how it does for the bench. I was zeroing the new scope on the 10/22 while I was between groups with the AR. It has a nice target trigger on it and the difference between them was so different. Every time I did my part that 10/22 was busting out one ragged little hole. While the AR was, trigger heavy. About every 3rd shot I would pull it while trying to squeeze one off. Messed up every group.

The carbine was just as ever. The BUIS worked out great. I'm going to leave the carry handle on it for a while, I like the way it shot. Of course I just shot at 50 yrds. this time. But that's about as far as I'll ever need to shoot in these woods, usually much less.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:27   #2
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Hey there old spark-are you getting them black guns all figured out?I put together some back in the "obozo"regime days,havent got a one of them "broke in" yet!(they say it takes about 400 rds for break in)I guess I'll need to load some more stuff to at least knock off the high spots in the barrels!.I just don't believe in bore compound!
REM1875 likes this.
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34   #3

I hear ya, I can't get one broke in yet either. Got to love these AR's now. They will Shoot!! New trigger should be in this mornings mail. Then I can go burn some more ammo at the range. This new range has some cool stuff, a steel plate course, a shoot house, etc. Once I get things shot in I got to hit the plate course. I have not done any of that in years.....

Old 03-21-2017, 10:55   #4

Had it for 2 years and just now taking it out? Dang that's patience!
REM1875 and judgecrater like this.
RabidDog79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 16:12   #5

To many honey do's. I put the trigger in today, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/40...4-single-stage. It is nice for a milspec trigger group. The trigger and hammer are plated with a nickle and PTFE coating. I touched them up with the Dremmel and a polish and cleaner compound that made it shine like chrome. I tried it out with the milspec springs and it was sweet. Broke like a glass rod. Heavy but not bad. Then I put the light hammer spring in and it was more better. Of course the first time it fails to ignite it's out of there. But some of the reviews I've read on these say no problem. Maybe I can do it justice now at the range.

Last edited by rutro; 03-24-2017 at 11:44.
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 20:58   #6

I was a mini toting AR scoffer until I bought one. There is a reason it has sustained itself through the decades. It is an awesome machine.
REM1875 and Bepe like this.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:12   #7

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
I was a mini toting AR scoffer until I bought one. There is a reason it has sustained itself through the decades. It is an awesome machine.
Absolutely. Ergonomic, light recoil, etc. Everything you need to shoot accurately, quickly. Just doesn't have alot of horsepower. Also, it's not too intimidating for women/smaller statured men. I teach a class for WITO called "getting to know the AR15" After about 30 min classroom instruction, we head to the 100 yrd rifle range, go over firing and clearing procedures(again), They fire 20 rnds, from 2 magazines. Most are able to shoot 4 moa groups w/ iron sights the first time around. My students have ranged in age from 16 to 82. The most often thing i hear after the class is "That was fun. Where can I get one? Can I buy yours?".
I then steer them towards appleseed to further their rifle skills. They truly are the modern day musket of the masses. Although, I must admit, I don't fool with carbines. My "shorty" is 18 1/2", and that one belongs to my wife. Firm believer in velocity.
Rutro-
I'm so glad you're having fun, and getting good results.
Bepe and judgecrater like this.
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:43   #8

Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
Me too. When all my buddies were out buying and Barbie-dolling AR-15s, I was fiddling with my Mini-14.

Then a deal came along that I couldn't pass up -- a DPMS LR-308T, new in box, with a Weaver 3-12x50 scope mounted. $850.

Threw in an RRA 2-stage trigger (I now realize that was money wasted...), broke it in, and the sickness set in. Swapped gas block, handguard, buffer and spring, grip, and brake. Now considering a LaRue MBT-2S trigger, Criterion 18" medium contour barrel (with rifle gas), and, at some point, a Sig SRD762QD suppressor.

I'm now secretly building a 5.56 AR Dissipator (a real one, not a middy with an extra FSB) until I can get permission from the wife. Then I'll magically come home with a rifle...

The AR15/M16 platform really is as good as it gets, mostly due to the modular nature of the system.
2rangers likes this.
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:05   #9

Hey I was never going to let one of those black guns in my house, Mini14 forever. Then people started having those problems with firing pins. I started looking around. I hate the thought of having to send something back to the factory for a simple thing like that.....
Then at the range one day a guy showed up with an AR10. He got set up and proceeded to pound away with that 308, he went through several mags. I was sitting down the way with my spotting scope watching his target. The x-ring was just a hole kind'a ragged at the edges, at 100yds. Nuff said....

Ranger said;
Rutro-
You are a mighty fine man 2Rangers. I can't do something very long if I'm not having fun, and I've been shooting since I was just a sprout. Next I've got to get my Howa .308 back out and get it broke in. Can't wait to work up a good load for that one.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:21   #10

Rutro-
Try 42.0 grns imr4064, a 175 sierra matchking, seated to 2.800". It should shoot well.
Also, doesn't glend arms make replacement firing pins? I thought brownells stocked them?
MOA club member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:26   #11

I will definitely try that one. I'm still stocking up on bullets. I've got some 150gr. and 168gr. MatchKing. From what I've read the heavier bullets are better for accuracy. It's been a while since I checked on firing pins for the mini. I know they make 'em, but every time I think about it they are sold out. One of these days I'll hit it right and get an extra or two. After I thought about that mini for a while it dawned on me that if I was going to break it, it would have happened a long time ago. I've settled down quite q bit, not nearly as hard on 'em as I used to be!!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38   #12

I have a Rock River Arms Trigger on my DPMS single shot lower. I like it. Co-Brian if you want to part with it, I am game. Rutro what was the specific trigger that you got for yours?
Marlin 45 carbine likes this.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03   #13

good to see another of your informative posts rutro.
2rangers likes this.
Old 03-25-2017, 13:32   #14

Hey dh1633pm it's just their AR Stoner enhanced trigger group. It has a hard nickle plating with PTFE and that nickle is so hard you can polish it without having to worry to much about burning through. I tried it without polishing first and it was way better than the average MilSpec group. Just a bit heavy for what I wanted to do. After I hit it with the dremmel and a felt wheel it was like chrome, and some kind'a slick. I treated it with some MilTec1 anyway and put it back in and that is the nicest $30 trigger I've ever had. Checked it after I put the JP reduced power hammer spring on and it's right at 3#11-12oz. pull weight. Not bad for a single stage trigger. It has just a little take up but breaks clean.
2rangers likes this.

Last edited by rutro; 03-25-2017 at 16:21.
rutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 13:39   #15

Thanks Rutro. That is excellent to hear. I just ordered one.
2rangers likes this.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33   #16

Originally Posted by dh1633pm View Post
I have a Rock River Arms Trigger on my DPMS single shot lower. I like it. Co-Brian if you want to part with it, I am game. Rutro what was the specific trigger that you got for yours?
It's not that I don't like the trigger -- I do -- but I've read lots of posts where the RRA 2-Stage will start doubling and/or following the bolt after anywhere from 300-1000 rounds.

I'd planned on running it 'til it quits, then replacing it with an MBT, but I may take you up on your offer. Just depends on if/when LaRue puts the MBT back on sale...
2rangers likes this.
COBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:20   #17

Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
It's not that I don't like the trigger -- I do -- but I've read lots of posts where the RRA 2-Stage will start doubling and/or following the bolt after anywhere from 300-1000 rounds.

I'd planned on running it 'til it quits, then replacing it with an MBT, but I may take you up on your offer. Just depends on if/when LaRue puts the MBT back on sale...
Please feel free. I had a DPMS Heavy Barrel 308. I traded some Wolf 308 Ammo for a Geiselle SSA trigger that I got from a friend that works at Bushmaster (Remington Arms in Ilion NY). That was a sweet trigger as well.
2rangers likes this.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:18   #18

rutro, thanks for the advice. My trigger came in sometime last week. I put it aside until today. I polished the little bit on the sear, the shiny part on the trigger, and the little bitty part on the hammer using my buffer wheel until they were nice and shiny. I then polished the trigger surface. Then I installed it on my DPMS single shot lower. Much nicer than the one that was on it. I might want some softer springs, but that's an adjustment I can make after I get behind the trigger a little bit.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:06   #19

Hey dh1633pm glad you liked it also. I think it's a great trigger for the $30. Did you by chance check the pull weight? I didn't even think about it until after I put the light spring in. It's funny about those springs, the trigger spring you get in the set measures the same as the milspec on a standard trigger. The hammer spring is like .035 while the milspec spring is .045. I did kind of like the way it broke with the standard spring. But it's not to shabby with the light one. I was shooting XM193 last time at the range and had no failures to ignite. Plus every time it went off was a surprise to me even though I knew when to expect it from the small bit of take up.
One other part I usually polish is the contact surface on the hammer where the bolt rides back over it. Some times when I get a bolt that is ruff I'll do a bit of polish on it too. When I have time I will polish all the surfaces of the bolt where it it contacts the receiver and treat with MilTec1 several times. Once done and burnished in this will give a real nice action that will run very smooth stay exceptionally clean. It will also clean up very easy with only minor brushing and a patch or two. I learned this on my 10/22. You know how dirty a 10/22 can get, well mine is slick smooth now and runs clean. Just a touch up with a tooth brush every so often keeps it that way. Takes a little time to do but a dirty one takes a lot of time to clean....
Old 04-10-2017, 05:25   #20

Originally Posted by 2rangers View Post
Absolutely. Ergonomic, light recoil, etc. Everything you need to shoot accurately, quickly. Just doesn't have alot of horsepower. Also, it's not too intimidating for women/smaller statured men. I teach a class for WITO called "getting to know the AR15" .... I then steer them towards appleseed to further their rifle skills. They truly are the modern day musket of the masses. Although, I must admit, I don't fool with carbines. My "shorty" is 18 1/2", and that one belongs to my wife. Firm believer in velocity.
Rutro-
Glad to see you recommend the Appleseed Project. I went through the class and qualified as Rifleman. For the price it is the best rifle training you can get.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:38   #21

Originally Posted by judgecrater View Post
Glad to see you recommend the Appleseed Project. I went through the class and qualified as Rifleman. For the price it is the best rifle training you can get.
Hell, I think it should be required at the high-school level of curriculum!
MOA club member
Old 04-11-2017, 16:20   #22

rutro, I don't have a way to check the weight. I figured when I take it out I will see how it feels. What I do need is some way to get the bolt to stay open after each shot. Since what I really have is a single shot AR. When I shoot competition I can shoot but one at a time anyhow. Not that I am a great shooter, just enjoy the fun of it.

I too polich where the hammer meets the bolt. Figured anywhere there is wear, is a good place to polish. I use a buffer wheel on my bench grinder. I have a dremel, but haven't used it too much to polish. I practice polishing on other things. Trying to get better at it.

I made a brass buttplate for my Rolling Block. I polished on that a lot.

Bottom line is its a great $30 trigger. I breaks like glass. If the weight is too high I can adjust the springs. Trigger removal on an AR is a no brainer.