Finaly got some range time.... - Shooting Sports Forum

AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 15:01   #1

Finaly got some range time....

I got to shoot the "new", 20" full stock free float I built about 2 years ago. That and the 16" carbine I've had for a long time, just re-barreled with an AR Stoner Midway nitrided barrel.
I'm loving the 20", just need a little better trigger. I ordered the improved trigger set from Midway and a set of light springs. I'll see how it does for the bench. I was zeroing the new scope on the 10/22 while I was between groups with the AR. It has a nice target trigger on it and the difference between them was so different. Every time I did my part that 10/22 was busting out one ragged little hole. While the AR was, trigger heavy. About every 3rd shot I would pull it while trying to squeeze one off. Messed up every group.

The carbine was just as ever. The BUIS worked out great. I'm going to leave the carry handle on it for a while, I like the way it shot. Of course I just shot at 50 yrds. this time. But that's about as far as I'll ever need to shoot in these woods, usually much less.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:27   #2
hostilenativelibertarian.

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!Livin near the most godless American city.
Hey there old spark-are you getting them black guns all figured out?I put together some back in the "obozo"regime days,havent got a one of them "broke in" yet!(they say it takes about 400 rds for break in)I guess I'll need to load some more stuff to at least knock off the high spots in the barrels!.I just don't believe in bore compound!
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:34   #3

I hear ya, I can't get one broke in yet either. Got to love these AR's now. They will Shoot!! New trigger should be in this mornings mail. Then I can go burn some more ammo at the range. This new range has some cool stuff, a steel plate course, a shoot house, etc. Once I get things shot in I got to hit the plate course. I have not done any of that in years.....

Old 03-21-2017, 10:55   #4

Had it for 2 years and just now taking it out? Dang that's patience!
RabidDog79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 16:12   #5

To many honey do's. I put the trigger in today, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/40...4-single-stage. It is nice for a milspec trigger group. The trigger and hammer are plated with a nickle and PTFE coating. I touched them up with the Dremmel and a polish and cleaner compound that made it shine like chrome. I tried it out with the milspec springs and it was sweet. Broke like a glass rod. Heavy but not bad. Then I put the light trigger spring in and it was more better. Of course the first time it fails to ignite it's out of there. But some of the reviews I've read on these say no problem. Maybe I can do it justice now at the range.
Old Yesterday, 20:58   #6

I was a mini toting AR scoffer until I bought one. There is a reason it has sustained itself through the decades. It is an awesome machine.
Old Today, 05:12   #7

Location: out in the country..1,327 meters from nearest neighbor
Originally Posted by chill1955 View Post
I was a mini toting AR scoffer until I bought one. There is a reason it has sustained itself through the decades. It is an awesome machine.
Absolutely. Ergonomic, light recoil, etc. Everything you need to shoot accurately, quickly. Just doesn't have alot of horsepower. Also, it's not too intimidating for women/smaller statured men. I teach a class for WITO called "getting to know the AR15" After about 30 min classroom instruction, we head to the 100 yrd rifle range, go over firing and clearing procedures(again), They fire 20 rnds, from 2 magazines. Most are able to shoot 4 moa groups w/ iron sights the first time around. My students have ranged in age from 16 to 82. The most often thing i hear after the class is "That was fun. Where can I get one? Can I buy yours?".
I then steer them towards appleseed to further their rifle skills. They truly are the modern day musket of the masses. Although, I must admit, I don't fool with carbines. My "shorty" is 18 1/2", and that one belongs to my wife. Firm believer in velocity.
Rutro-
I'm so glad you're having fun, and getting good results.
MOA club member
2rangers is offline   Reply With Quote