Perfect Union banner

Building Myself a Dissy...

7K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  COBrien 
#1 ·
After resisting the AR bandwagon for more than a decade, I have finally decided to climb aboard. It all started with a DPMS LR-308T. Modifying that rifle to suit my needs (and wants...) has made me decide to build a 5.56 AR.

So far, I have purchased a Del-Ton Dissipator Barrel "kit" (FSB, Triangular HG cap, & barrel nut). This is a "true Dissipator," i.e., rifle-length gas system, not a carbine- or mid-length setup with a low-profile gas block.

My vision for this rifle includes an A2 buttstock, A2 handguard, and a "National Match" free-float tube. I will be mounting a Harris #5 bipod adapter (in A2 handguard) for sling use and occasional bipod use. Looking to build a "sleeper" rifle, I guess.

Common sense tells me that a short, heavy barrel will be stiffer than something longer and/or lighter. But that same common sense tells me a bipod and/or slinging up tight will affect POI if the barrel is not free-floated.

My question for y'all is this: on a 16" HBAR, how much of a difference is a free-float kit going to make, as far as accuracy is concerned? Anyone have any before-and-after groups showing the difference between "traditional" handguard mounting and free-floating? Even groups shot with an aftermarket FF tube/rail/whatever would give me some idea.

See less See more
#38 ·
Well, after my LaRue order showed up, I spent some time today with my .308, the wife's Carbon-15, and my box o' parts. This MBT trigger is the cat's hind-end!

I also, completely by accident, built the lower for my new rifle. Then I mocked up the upper to give me an idea of what it's going to feel like when it's all together.

#40 ·
The gun uses AR Mags and Upper Receiver and Bolt. The Bolt Carrier is for this gun only, and the stock is basically a Rem 1100. If you Google ARES SCR and then click on "images" you can see a bunch of pics of different guns people have put together.

It runs just like an AR but points in much better IMHO. It points more like a shotgun than an AR. I installed a larger Bolt Catch and a Rainier Charging Handle, and am looing for an Ambi Mag Release. The mag Release on these guns is father forward than on an AR and as such it becomes awkward to operate.

A Troy Ambi Mag Release will solve the problem.

I also have a Carbon 15 and absolutely love it. The light weight is the strong point, and mine came with a Chrome Bore and it has ran perfectly ever since I got it.

Not planning on getting rid of it to satisfy CA BS. GO NRA and CRPA

Randy

#41 ·
Well, gents, I think the time is approaching for me to finally get this rifle together.

I've been kicking around the idea of building a .308 "CSASS" style rifle for the wife. She's a LEO and is interested in becoming a sharpshooter for her department. After some discussion between us, she has decided she'd rather have a nice, simple patrol carbine so she can give the department back their old Bushmaster A3 she was issued. Something lighter-weight (her goal) and more accurate (mine) is what she's after.

So... Now that I'm collecting parts to build a rifle for her (and, umm, have all the necessary tools now...), I may decide to break it to her that I've been building a rifle of my own over the last year. Seriously, it's been almost a year. Hard to believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.