Perfect Union banner
3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cjclemens 
#1 ·
I built myself an AR-15 to use for predator control. Coyotes and other "pest" have been killing my chickens.

This is the build I came up with:

• Palmetto State Armory Freedom upper receiver. Instead of chrome lined the Freedom series barrels have a melonite finish. Twist is 1:7. 16 inch barrel.
  • Spikes tactical stripped lower.
  • CMMG lower parts kit, with fire control group
  • Impact weapons systems receiver end plate with quick connect
  • Bravo company receiver extension and buffer
  • PSA premium bolt carrier group
  • Standard charging handle
  • Magpul MBUS flip-up sights
  • Magpul grip (black)
  • Magpul enhanced polymer trigger guard
  • Magpul ACS-L Carbine Stock

Someone told me I have the scope mount on backwards.

I am not happy with the military style turrets. Carrying the rifle around the farm the turrets were bumped so that the adjustment was off zero.

Next time I buy a scope I want the standard scope adjustment covers.

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#3 ·
I've never been a fan of the big adjustable turrets, either. I like to get my zero set and leave it where it is. When you're coyote hunting, you won't have time to turn knobs and shoulder your rifle, anyway. Find an online ballistics calculator, and have it generate your drop chart. At that point, all you gotta do is put the right dot on the target (if you're using a mildot scope). Otherwise, you have to estimate your hold-over, which is tricky but doable with practice.

#5 ·
I always wondered about their Stainless Feedom line, let us know how it shoots if you can. 16" may have been slightly on the short end if Varmit hunting is the preference, it will get the job done for sure but a 20" is usually prefered by most people. It adds a lot of weight to the front end but kills much faster at the mid to long ranges, 16" will tend to go straight through without fragmentation on most small game. Specialized Varmit rounds can mitigate that but they are pricy (hog hammer, soft tip Ect.) I usually load hollow points for Varmit, I don't like to cause suffering if it can be helped.

#6 ·
The difference in velocity, between a 16 and 20" barrel, is barely enough to be ballistically significant. Unless you're hunting coyotes out on the plains or shooting prairie dogs off a bench rest, I see no reason to carry the extra weight. I hunt east of the Mississippi, and shots here are almost always inside 200 yards. Most shots I take are between 25 to 125 yards. Around here, If it can't be done with a 16" carbine, it probably can't be done with a 20" rifle, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.