NEW Ruger AR-556 - Shooting Sports Forum

AR-15 Talk AR-15 General Interest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 05:13   #1

NEW Ruger AR-556

Ruger just released a new AR-15 variant yesterday. What are your thoughts on this one? MSRP$750...real world price around $600.

Ruger AR-556 Gas-Impingement 5.56mm Semi-Automatic Rifle

I really like the direction Ruger's headed...high quality products, Made in USA and they are affordable/great value for the money.
dh1633pm likes this.
MattDrudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:52   #2

The front sight base and the delta ring are lame. They make the rifle look like a cheap Chinese knockoff.
gunslinger71973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:39   #3

Gunslinger has a point. I am sure that they will widen the model if there is enough customer demand.
dh1633pm is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2014, 07:52   #4
Banned

Yep, Eugene Stoner was right all along. The Direct Impingement AKA DI system is the most practical. Colt management knew that over 50 years ago. If Bill Ruger was still at Ruger he would have went to the DI system in the beginning.
Durango Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 18:00   #5

LOL! If Bill Ruger was still making decisions there would be no ARs and only 5-capacity mags offered for all Ruger products.
Speakeasy and A/J/S/USNRet like this.
MattDrudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 23:43   #6

It is cheaper than a new Mini 14 and seems to be competitively priced when compared to the low end DPMS and S&W offerings. Like every other AR 15 it should be a simple matter to change what you don't like about it.
TJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24   #7

Originally Posted by MattDrudge View Post
LOL! If Bill Ruger was still making decisions there would be no ARs and only 5-capacity mags offered for all Ruger products.
Exactly right, Bill Ruger was one of the reasons we had the 94 assault weapons ban. He was not a free market 2a kinda guy. It's only since he died that the company has been freed to make ARs and provide larger magazines.

I personally think the Ruger AR is a very good value, backed by a company that has good customer service and fixes their weapons when they have a problem.

I actually like the front gas block it is machined instead of a raw looking forging which looks more refined to me. I also like the fact that the hand guard is held on by threads instead of the standard spring which is difficult to remove.

The only thing it is missing is a chrome lined barrel, but it is hammer forged and will probably be more accurate than a chrome lined barrel.

If I needed any more ARs I'd buy a couple of these, the price is great!!!!
ScottsBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:35   #8

Originally Posted by Durango Ranger View Post
Yep, Eugene Stoner was right all along. The Direct Impingement AKA DI system is the most practical. Colt management knew that over 50 years ago. If Bill Ruger was still at Ruger he would have went to the DI system in the beginning.
Again, if Bill Ruger were still there there would be no AR. In addition, Ruger could have made a DI gun, after all Stoners rifle has been around a long time. All of Ruger's rifles other than .22s have been piston.

I own some ARs and some SCARs (and Mini-14s). I like the AR for its modularity, but prefer the SCAR for it piston driven operating system. DI is not optimal for longevity or cleaning intervals, but they will run fine if kept well lubed until the bolt comes apart at 5,000 to 8,000 rounds.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:27   #9

Originally Posted by gunslinger71973 View Post
The front sight base and the delta ring are lame. They make the rifle look like a cheap Chinese knockoff.
I am not an AR guy per say, but I do like the platform. Regarding the FSB and D-Ring, what looks cheap about them? The D-Ring looks like any other standard type D-Ring and the FSB on this AR is very nice, machined aluminum and looks much nicer than the typical cast FSB to me.

If this AR can really be had for as little as $600 it may put me into the AR market. Of course my Mini-14 would have to stay though!
Davcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:35   #10

Originally Posted by Davcruz View Post
I am not an AR guy per say, but I do like the platform. Regarding the FSB and D-Ring, what looks cheap about them? The D-Ring looks like any other standard type D-Ring and the FSB on this AR is very nice, machined aluminum and looks much nicer than the typical cast FSB to me.

If this AR can really be had for as little as $600 it may put me into the AR market. Of course my Mini-14 would have to stay though!
Here is a thread I just started comparing the Mini-14 to the AR-556. Like to get your thoughts.
Ruger-Mini-14-vs-Ruger-AR-556
Davcruz likes this.
Old 10-06-2014, 14:47   #11

Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Here is a thread I just started comparing the Mini-14 to the AR-556. Like to get your thoughts.
Ruger-Mini-14-vs-Ruger-AR-556
Done
Old 10-06-2014, 15:11   #12

Davcruz, by no means did I mean to imply that this rifle will not be a top notch product. I am just a traditionalist, so I prefer the GI style features. To me, the FSB and the checkered delta ring, just don't look right. I think they make the gun look like a cheap dollar store toy. But, I have been accused of having weird ways. At the suggested price point, I do think a person could not go wrong with this rifle. I think the quality will definitely be well worth the price.
Old 10-07-2014, 17:59   #13

Has anyone on here fired this yet? I'm a scope guy so how do you get rid of that ugly front sight and still keep the gas block? Of course I'm talking rid of it short of sawing the ugly monster off.
tablespoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 21:13   #14

Originally Posted by tablespoon View Post
Has anyone on here fired this yet? I'm a scope guy so how do you get rid of that ugly front sight and still keep the gas block? Of course I'm talking rid of it short of sawing the ugly monster off.
If you are using a fixed or variable power scope starting above 2x or so the front sight will not be visible. If you are using a 1X or red dot it will be visible, but if you buy a red dot with a 1/3 co-witness mount you will only see the top of the front sight in the bottom 1/3 of your sight picture. This is the way a lot of guys run them.

Here is a good explanation of co-witness from Primary Arms.
Co-Witness Video

Hope this gives you some ideas
Old 10-08-2014, 11:22   #15

Tablespoon, you can easily replace the front sight base (FSB) with a gas block if that is more your style, then you can install flip-up sights or just use an optic if you want.

Here is an article that explains it well.

How (Not) to Install an AR-15 Flat Top Gas Block and Front Sight Base
Old 10-09-2014, 19:16   #16

Tablespoon, you can easily replace the front sight base (FSB) with a gas block if that is more your style, then you can install flip-up sights or just use an optic if you want.

Thanks! An adjustable gas block it will be.
tablespoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:55   #17

Thanks! An adjustable gas block it will be.
Just note, it does not need to be an adjustable block, they generally cost a good bit more than a fixed gas block.
Old 10-11-2014, 15:26   #18

Negative, the Ruger gas block has the pins on the top and not the bottom. If you want a different gas block, then you will need to have the services of a gunsmith, which kind of kills the great price.
Attached Thumbnails
NEW Ruger AR-556-ruger-ar-15-fgb-pins.jpg  
3M-TA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19   #19

Originally Posted by 3M-TA3 View Post
Negative, the Ruger gas block has the pins on the top and not the bottom. If you want a different gas block, then you will need to have the services of a gunsmith, which kind of kills the great price.
Good catch, I did not even notice that! Why would Ruger go that route I wonder? Will they offer a gas block possibly?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34   #20

Good catch, I did not even notice that! Why would Ruger go that route I wonder? Will they offer a gas block possibly?
I think it's a proprietary design to prevent customers from substituting their own block or barrel to make support easier. Ruger so far hasn't shown any signs that they want to get into the after market.
3M-TA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50   #21

Originally Posted by 3M-TA3 View Post
I think it's a proprietary design to prevent customers from substituting their own block or barrel to make support easier. Ruger so far hasn't shown any signs that they want to get into the after market.
This is true, they seem to have stayed away from aftermarket at every turn, even when that aftermarket is very lucrative in some cases (10/22...).

I had not thought about support, I bet that is exactly what drove their design. In your opinion do you think they went proprietary on the barrel or will any mil spec barrel drop in?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:57   #22

The Ruger web site says the barrel nut and barrel can be swapped out to a Mil-Spec design. So it appears the rest of the rifle is mil spec compatible.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:17   #23

Originally Posted by gunslinger71973 View Post
The Ruger web site says the barrel nut and barrel can be swapped out to a Mil-Spec design. So it appears the rest of the rifle is mil spec compatible.
I have looked around and cannot find mention of the barrel compatibility, I do see where it says D-ring can be swapped.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:35   #24

Like the rifle, but I want a 20 inch barrel, flash hider, six position stock, and optics ready no F post front sight.
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 15:05   #25

In the overview Ruger says the barrel nut accepts standard wrenches and can be swapped for a standard barrel nut. If you can change the barrel nut, you can change the barrel.
WannaBeMallNinja likes this.