AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 23:52   #1
Points: 408, Level: 8 Points: 408, Level: 8 Points: 408, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

American AKs

Is there a company that makes AKs completly in America? I dont meen the part kits from the likes of Red Jacket or Century.

If there is please let me know. Thanks
haligan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50   #2
Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47
Last Achievements

No, not really.

Probably the most "American" AK is going to be the Arsenal, but it still starts its life in Izhevsk (which I consider a good thing).

Don't be scared off due to the "made in the USA" hype. International trade is the heart of capitalism, and cheap imports are the only reason US mfg's aren't charging $2000 for entry level rifles.

Besides, in buying an American re-manufacture or an import, you are still supporting an American business... Just not an American factory. And at least if it is from Izhevsk you know it is not from a sweatshop in China, like most of the other products we buy.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:18   #3
(*.:.*)
Points: 8,539, Level: 62 Points: 8,539, Level: 62 Points: 8,539, Level: 62
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by haligan101 View Post
Is there a company that makes AKs completly in America? I dont meen the part kits from the likes of Red Jacket or Century.

If there is please let me know. Thanks
Yes, unfortunately it is made by Century.

Century International Arms

100% American Made! No imported parts! Century is the only company making an all U.S. made AK!
cma g21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23   #4
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Last Achievements

There's a huge difference between Red Jacket and Century also. Will was known for his AK work long before that TV show came out.
OzarkRecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:21   #5
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Last Achievements

How is Red Jacket product different/better?

I've been thinking about ordering an AK from Red Jacket as the show is entertaining and I think it would be fun to own one of Will's rifles. But, I am not sure how Red Jacket's product is any different or better than the run-of-the-mill AK available through the typical importers. Could someone tell me what exactly Red Jacket is doing to produce these AKs? Do they buy parts, assemble and do some accurizing? Thanks in advance.
range rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23   #6
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by range rat View Post
I've been thinking about ordering an AK from Red Jacket as the show is entertaining and I think it would be fun to own one of Will's rifles. But, I am not sure how Red Jacket's product is any different or better than the run-of-the-mill AK available through the typical importers. Could someone tell me what exactly Red Jacket is doing to produce these AKs? Do they buy parts, assemble and do some accurizing? Thanks in advance.
IMHO, the main difference is the odds of getting a really good AK.

With Red Jacket, it's practically a sure thing (and if you somehow get a bad one, they'll fix or replace it).

With the cheaper AK's (most made or assembled by Century) it's much more of a crap shoot.

You could end up with an AK that shoots every bit as well as a Red Jacket. Or, just could get a disaster (canted sights, worn out barrel, unreliable, ...). Or (most likely), you could get something in between.

It really depends on how much money you're willing to spend to insure you get a good AK from the start vs. how much time/effort/money you might be willing to spend to fix an AK that isn't that good.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01   #7
Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Century will fix any problems you have just the same as red jacket... They are well known to have excellent customer service.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26   #8
Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21 Points: 1,441, Level: 21
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post

With Red Jacket, it's practically a sure thing (and if you somehow get a bad one, they'll fix or replace it).

With the cheaper AK's (most made or assembled by Century) it's much more of a crap shoot.

You could end up with an AK that shoots every bit as well as a Red Jacket. Or, just could get a disaster (canted sights, worn out barrel, unreliable, ...). Or (most likely), you could get something in between.

It really depends on how much money you're willing to spend to insure you get a good AK from the start vs. how much time/effort/money you might be willing to spend to fix an AK that isn't that good.
Thanks for Red Jacket endorsement. I put in my order last night.
range rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by GDKPIKPWG View Post
Century will fix any problems you have just the same as red jacket... They are well known to have excellent customer service.
That is not what I've read (I've never personally sent an AK back to Century). It's not that every Century AK I've had was perfect, it's just that I found the issues mine had (worn out recoil spring, canted sights, badly fitted dust cover), were easier/cheaper to fix myself. YMMV.

From what I've read, Century will generally fix a gun that won't function, but will usually not correct issues that do not prevent the gun from functioning. For example; canted sights, excessive magazine wobble (unless it results in feed issues), inaccuracy (unless it prevents the AK from firing 6" or better groups with at least one brand of ammo), etc.

My experience with Century service on CETME's (several years ago), was far from positive. They used a ground bolt to create a false bolt gap (too long a discussion for this post, but a potentially dangerous condition). At that time, they refused to correct the problem, or even acknowledge there was a problem (I have read that this has since changed). Bottom line, I ended up buying a new bolt and locking piece. Just to fix a problem that Century should have prevented simply by replacing the worn out locking piece, which would have actually resulted in a correct bolt gap, instead of grinding the bolt (to make it look like it was correct).
Old 01-15-2012, 18:44   #10
Points: 2,190, Level: 28 Points: 2,190, Level: 28 Points: 2,190, Level: 28
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

Haligan101: Have you checked out I.O. inc from North Carolina?
American-Made Hellhound Tactical and Sporter 7.62x39mm AK Rifles from I.O., Inc.
MattDrudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:16   #11
Points: 408, Level: 8 Points: 408, Level: 8 Points: 408, Level: 8
Last Achievements

yes, thank you. Iactually bought one about a month ago and shot it last weekend. I enjoyed it alot. Now I just have to make some changes like the sights, want a rail for an eotech
haligan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 13:19   #12
Points: 2,190, Level: 28 Points: 2,190, Level: 28 Points: 2,190, Level: 28
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%
Last Achievements

Congrats
MattDrudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:40   #13
AK-47 Junkie
Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

red jacket converts saigas. their prices compared to what you're getting is laughable. you're buying basically will's smile. arsenal often uses bulgarian receivers. not bad. worth the money.

lancaster used to use nodak spud receiver. nodak spud from a north dakotan potato farmer who was involved in the design. hence NOrth dakotan SPUD farmer. early lancasters are good but in all honesty the later ones have canted sights. poorly installed rear trunnions that elongate the rear rivets which cause the dust cover to eventually come loose / pop up. there is a reason that lancaster stopped selling directly to the public.

my question to you is would you buy an AR made by a russian company or russian derivative? commy gun. commy manufacture. good luck.
the robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41   #14
AK-47 Junkie
Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
Last Achievements

red jacket converts saigas. their prices compared to what you're getting is laughable. you're buying basically will's smile. arsenal often uses bulgarian receivers. not bad. worth the money.

lancaster used to use nodak spud receiver. nodak spud from a north dakotan potato farmer who was involved in the design. hence NOrth dakotan SPUD farmer. early lancasters are good but in all honesty the later ones have canted sights. poorly installed rear trunnions that elongate the rear rivets which cause the dust cover to eventually come loose / pop up. there is a reason that lancaster stopped selling directly to the public.

my question to you is would you buy an AR made by a russian company or russian derivative? commy gun. commy manufacture. good luck.
the robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:53   #15
Points: 27,061, Level: 97 Points: 27,061, Level: 97 Points: 27,061, Level: 97
Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4%
Last Achievements

If $ is the concern, it is probably better to just get a Saiga and learn to convert it yourself. Not too much is involved any way. This way it will be as "done in the USA" as anybody else's and you get to learn about the gun from inside out, not to mention it will save you a lot of $.

on the other hand, Arsenal and Redjacket guns are easier to sell, they are better options if you have investment in your mind.
Old 05-10-2012, 17:31   #16
Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post

A buddy (and co-worker, I am a manager of a gun store) bought a Red Jacket. After 2 trips back to Red Jacket, it still wouldn't run. He then sold it.

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 17:38   #17
Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by the robfather View Post

This. Buy an Import

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:04   #18
anti-capitalist
Points: 73,603, Level: 100 Points: 73,603, Level: 100 Points: 73,603, Level: 100
Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6% Activity: 99.6%
Last Achievements

Listen to BW, he knows his AKs

I can't get used to Colonel Sanders as a zombie though. The zombie apocalypse will try mens' souls.
Isaiah 28:15-17
freesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 20:03   #19
Points: 1,804, Level: 25 Points: 1,804, Level: 25 Points: 1,804, Level: 25
Last Achievements

Arsenal mostly mods imported rifles with their own in house parts. Their premium milled AK 47 use American made receivers. Their furniture is super duper space age polymers that make other polymers seem really cheap. Premium price and quality but the Bulgarians are known to produce some of the best small arms in the world and Arsenal USA is basically their Arsenal Bulgaria transplanted to Las Vegas, Nevada, Bulgarian gunsmiths and all. Plus it's really cool to have a Las Vegas stamp on an AK
tcallre is offline   Reply With Quote