AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 18:28   #1
Registered Member
Points: 1,976, Level: 26 Points: 1,976, Level: 26 Points: 1,976, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

WASR-10/63 Bolt jams up tight

Hello

I have this problem with my WASR-10/63, go figure

When I try cocking the gun with a loaded clip, the bolt carrier will stop moving and some part of the bolt jams up tight at about 1/4" to 1/2" from the fully closed position. It also jams on the ejection cycle in the same place, its right at the point where the bolt would rotate and unlock from the breech.

Anyhow, I looked the rifle over, and decided to do some swiss filing to the bolt. I took the bolt out and rounded the edges on most of the faces(the ones that showed wear mostly), runs fine now, cycles every round. I figured ahh no biggie, all good, that was then.lol

So months later I ordered a stainless steel bolt, real nice condition. well guess what jams same deal, the bolt just wont rotate out of the breech most of the time, well not without massive force.

I'd hate to have to file/camfer the edges on a perfectly good bolt just to get this junker gun running smooth, plus I figure this isn't the correct fix.

Anyone run into this before? I'm at a loss to whats going on, to many edges with wear, no way to test to see if there in spec.

NOTE: Tested gun with a new bolt carrier, same problem.

Thanks for your time,
MajSlayer420

Last edited by MajSlayer420; 09-14-2009 at 18:51.
MajSlayer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:45   #2
anti-capitalist
Points: 69,324, Level: 100 Points: 69,324, Level: 100 Points: 69,324, Level: 100
Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7%
Last Achievements

I'm afraid I don't have a solution. I'd be very leery of a firearm that requires filing the bolt to function. Personally, I wouldn't file a bolt like that unless I were very sure that doing so wouldn't render the firearm unsafe. If it were me, at the point you're at now, I'd take the rifle and both bolts to a qualified gunsmith. I know that's expensive, which kind of leads to the next question: Did you buy it new? Did it ever function properly, before the bolt was filed?

Ah, I do have one suggestion: Ask about this at http://www.theakforum.net (requires registration). Someone here may be able to help you, but there is a lot more traffic on the topic of AKs there.
Isaiah 28:15-17
freesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:48   #3
AC-556 Owner
Points: 9,398, Level: 65 Points: 9,398, Level: 65 Points: 9,398, Level: 65
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MajSlayer420 View Post
Hello

I have this problem with my WASR-10/63, go figure

When I try cocking the gun with a loaded clip, the bolt carrier will stop moving and some part of the bolt jams up tight at about 1/4" to 1/2" from the fully closed position. It also jams on the ejection cycle in the same place, its right at the point where the bolt would rotate and unlock from the breech.

Anyhow, I looked the rifle over, and decided to do some swiss filing to the bolt. I took the bolt out and rounded the edges on most of the faces(the ones that showed wear mostly), runs fine now, cycles every round. I figured ahh no biggie, all good, that was then.lol

So months later I ordered a stainless steel bolt, real nice condition. well guess what jams same deal, the bolt just wont rotate out of the breech most of the time, well not without massive force.

I'd hate to have to file/camfer the edges on a perfectly good bolt just to get this junker gun running smooth, plus I figure this isn't the correct fix.

Anyone run into this before? I'm at a loss to whats going on, to many edges with wear, no way to test to see if there in spec.

NOTE: Tested gun with a new bolt carrier, same problem.

Thanks for your time,
MajSlayer420
Sounds like your receiver and the barrel are not properly aligned. When the bolt closes, it binds and jams.
Dacotua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:53   #4
Points: 10,086, Level: 67 Points: 10,086, Level: 67 Points: 10,086, Level: 67
Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6%
Last Achievements

You may be able to isolate what parts are binding by using a black marker. Marker all areas worn and cylcle a few times to see where the marker rubs off first.

Check that your gas rod is true and snug along with the other suggestions mentioned.
Metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 21:59   #5
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

do not file on your bolt,this changes your head space,and changing bolts also changes your head space.The barrel is pressed in and then it is head spaced then the barrel pin hole is drilled.All this is matched to that particular set of parts.

sounds like the ejector was not properly trimmed,if at all.It sounds as though it is pushing the bolt off center and binding your bolt.kinda like being out of alignment.The ejector,if properly trimmed should gently run in the your carrier slot to eject your brass.

You can check if binding by turning the rifle over and looking in the mag well while you rack the weapon,empty of course.you can watch how the ejector is riding in the carrier slot.If it is riding hard and you can see it pushing your carrier and bolt to the side with some force then your ejector needs trimming.Just a small draw with a file on the tip will suffice..

WASR(922r parts made by century) gas pistons are welded to the carrier.best bet would be to undo the weld and properly rivet the piston..
Voice#7-"There's Nothing That a Screwdriver to the Temple Can't Fix"
You In Vietnam Bitches
Μολὼν λαβέ
كافر

Last edited by Ding; 11-19-2009 at 22:02.
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 23:56   #6
anti-capitalist
Points: 69,324, Level: 100 Points: 69,324, Level: 100 Points: 69,324, Level: 100
Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Ding View Post
do not file on your bolt,this changes your head space,and changing bolts also changes your head space.The barrel is pressed in and then it is head spaced then the barrel pin hole is drilled.All this is matched to that particular set of parts.

sounds like the ejector was not properly trimmed,if at all.It sounds as though it is pushing the bolt off center and binding your bolt.kinda like being out of alignment.The ejector,if properly trimmed should gently run in the your carrier slot to eject your brass.

You can check if binding by turning the rifle over and looking in the mag well while you rack the weapon,empty of course.you can watch how the ejector is riding in the carrier slot.If it is riding hard and you can see it pushing your carrier and bolt to the side with some force then your ejector needs trimming.Just a small draw with a file on the tip will suffice..

WASR(922r parts made by century) gas pistons are welded to the carrier.best bet would be to undo the weld and properly rivet the piston..
I knew filing the bolt wasn't the answer, and can only hope MajSlayer420 found corroboration for that caution and further info consistent with what you've just posted, Ding. That's why I recommended asking on a more active AK forum. It's been two months, with no further posts, so I can only hope the bolt filing solution was reconsidered.

Sounds to me like you know your AKs so I hope you stick around; we do have AK aficionados here

There's an all-too-common tendency to think that the inherent mechanics of firearms don't apply to AKs, as though there's something about the design that makes them immune to the usual safety concerns. What makes the AK so robust and reliable is the design and implementation. When the latter gets screwed with, the results are unpredictable and can be dangerous. Yes, AKs just keep going bang all around the world but we don't tend to read about the mishaps.
Isaiah 28:15-17

Last edited by freesw; 11-20-2009 at 00:13.
freesw is offline   Reply With Quote