AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 13:08   #26
Points: 3,134, Level: 34 Points: 3,134, Level: 34 Points: 3,134, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dglockster View Post

WASR rifles are put together from surplus parts, on U.S. made receivers without dimples, just for the consumer market and have no antecedent as military rifles. In addition, the term WASR, as an acronym, has no meaning.
Actually, WASR receivers are made in Romania, hence, no dimples. This is due to the fact that they are originally built to accept single stack mags, and rather than dimples to reinforce the magazine well, they use welded in mag stabalizers. This is done so that they can be imported as "sporting", and are not considered an "assault rifle" by the BATFE. Once stateside, Century Arms mills out the magazine well to accomodate the width of standard AK mags. The rifles have standard AKM pattern trunnion, so no modification to the trunnion is necessary.
NCshooter26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 18:55   #27
Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
the wasr 10/63 is a better quality wasr.

"Revised front trunnion to 'current' milspec. Like the SAR was. The WaSR front trunnion is specific for the single stack and isn't as 'strong' (the '63' gives more support to the bolt carrier), but they aren't full auto either-thats when it counts. More surplus parts on them too, you will find filled/restamped numbers on them sometimes. And it 'should' have the forward grip on it too...Pistol Mitralieră 63...almost an exact Russian AKM copy (which started in 1963) "

No, the 10/63 is a regular Wasr that has not been dethreaded, and stripped of its bayo lug, but has the magwell machined out to accept hicaps. NCshooter26 pretty much nailed it.

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40   #28
Points: 2,671, Level: 31 Points: 2,671, Level: 31 Points: 2,671, Level: 31
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BlenderWizard View Post
No, the 10/63 is a regular Wasr that has not been dethreaded, and stripped of its bayo lug, but has the magwell machined out to accept hicaps. NCshooter26 pretty much nailed it.

your telling me I'm wrong when I'm sitting right here looking at it.

I have a 10/63 single stack, no lug, welded nut. Its a century import and has a much more solid feel than my dad romanian,which is not a century (Sporter 75)

Find some AK enthusiasts and they will tell you its a night and day difference in the quality.

And as far as the G kits, from what I've always understood, they were either un-issued,or issued guns that never seen any action.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57   #29
Registered Member
Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by NCshooter26 View Post
Actually, WASR receivers are made in Romania, hence, no dimples. This is due to the fact that they are originally built to accept single stack mags, and rather than dimples to reinforce the magazine well, they use welded in mag stabalizers. This is done so that they can be imported as "sporting", and are not considered an "assault rifle" by the BATFE. Once stateside, Century Arms mills out the magazine well to accomodate the width of standard AK mags. The rifles have standard AKM pattern trunnion, so no modification to the trunnion is necessary.
NCshooter...Does that I can simply "open up" the reciever opening on my single stack mag well and it will fit and function with a 30 round double stack mag?
BadAzzXrunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 15:27   #30
Points: 3,115, Level: 34 Points: 3,115, Level: 34 Points: 3,115, Level: 34
Last Achievements

I have a Romanian made WASR 10 with a dragunov stock. No bayonet lug, single stack magazines only, no flash surpressor. Its nothing fancy, but effective piece of equitment. My only complaint is the magazines. The low capacity dosn't bother me, but half of the mags I received from the wholesaler are useless and do not fit the receiver.
I am contemplating on trading it but I do like it as a rugged SHTF rifle.
Old 08-09-2010, 19:19   #31
Registered Member
Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by yq397r View Post
I have a Romanian made WASR 10 with a dragunov stock. My only complaint is the magazines.

yq397r...follow this link http://guncentral.net/Articles/LoCap-HiCap.html

I have the exact same WASR as you. Worked great for mine. Just remember to make the neccesary mods to stay legal and compliant.
BadAzzXrunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:10   #32
Points: 5,005, Level: 45 Points: 5,005, Level: 45 Points: 5,005, Level: 45
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

I just got a WASR 10/63 for x mas , its awesome i love it- has a chrome lined barrel and trunnion has the arrow on it and is stamped 1968, i checked everything and no problems. I fired 120 rounds thru it it was very accurate at 25 yards , i mean i was getting 1 inch groups at 25 yards and 2 inch groups at 50 yards.

Get ones from Century Arms , they seem to be fixing alot of the WASR problems alot better then other gun importers. Mine was from Century .
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13   #33
Points: 4,279, Level: 41 Points: 4,279, Level: 41 Points: 4,279, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Valor View Post
I just got a WASR 10/63 for x mas , its awesome i love it- has a chrome lined barrel and trunnion has the arrow on it and is stamped 1968, i checked everything and no problems. I fired 120 rounds thru it it was very accurate at 25 yards , i mean i was getting 1 inch groups at 25 yards and 2 inch groups at 50 yards.

Get ones from Century Arms , they seem to be fixing alot of the WASR problems alot better then other gun importers. Mine was from Century .
I grabbed a Century also and other then having a completly raw, unfinished stock/forgrips, it was a clean build. I shot it, found it to shoot consistant 3 inch groups at 75yds.I finished out the stocks to get through the wet weather.
Within a week I had slipped on my wet tile floor and landed on my left side RIGHT on top of A 4 inch metal ammo box breaking L-4(rib) left side and bruised my lung.I couldnt work and was in intolerable pain(still sucks 2.5 wks later)so I decided to throw myself into the rebuild now hoping to kill some time. I will defenatly upgrade the dot sight later but for now its a sweet machine
I polished bolt,Installed "MAKO" front rail and tube system, "TAPCO" SAW style pistol grip,"BATTLEGRIP" rail grip and accessory switch mount,Unknown manufacture of low quality buttstock(wont be there too long)and "TRUGLO" multi color/Multi-reticle series "RED DOT" optics. for a total investment of around $600. IM happy..................Thanks John

So I have a new "Tactical" carbine, on a battleproven operating system

I have a spare New in box "MAKO" rail system if you guys want to buy or trade,drop me a PM.
zepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 15:33   #34
Registered Member
Points: 818, Level: 15 Points: 818, Level: 15 Points: 818, Level: 15
Last Achievements

Smile The trick to buying a good WASR 10/63...

Hi guys, I wanted to buy an AKM clone at a reasonable price before President Dillhole closes the window officially or not and the WASR to me is the cheapest and best option for the money PROVIDED one takes the time to be educated on how to spot a good one:
1. Go to a dealer and pick the best of a batch of them for reasons I will get into one by one.
2. You have to understand recent Romanian history with regard to Ceacesqu (sorry to butcher his name Romanians) and the history of Cugir and Saadu Arsenals. In short, the craftsman at the Cugir arsenal were better and more skilled than those at Saadu. Look for 'Cugir' stamped on the right side of the receiver and on the other side, look for a triangle stamping with an up arrow inside of it. This means that the receiver passed quality control and that the receiver stampings in the parts kit passed QC. A 1960's parts kit is best. That will be stamped on the receiver as well.
3. I don't give a r@tz @$$ about the wood. To me, AK's aren't pretty. They are about function, so I don't care enough to bother, but that's a personal preference. Refinish if u care to.
4. About mag wobble... You won't have this cosmetic (won't affect operation even if u get one with it from what I've read. Mine is tight like a glove. No wobble at all. However, look for the following to prevent that: either two metal guides welded to the interior of the mag well (mine has this) or in the 1975 parts kit, dimples on the sides of the receiver that many AKMs have.
5. Although by all reports, Century has done a much better job with their QC since 2009-2010. Mine is put together very well and only has 1 issue: very slight front site post canting that I didn't visually catch looking down the barrel (Century's fault, not Romania's) because it is VERY slight. It throws me off 1" to the right at 50 yards and groups very consistently. I can correct my aim now, but will fix it. Remember to check for this. My friend's Century built Yugo has a worse issue than mine in this regard. No biggie to me.

I love my Romy and at $450, it's a great deal. My buddy paid over 6 bills for his fancy Yugo that shoots no better than mine and my receiver is parkerized/flawless (I will post pics if u like) and it has not jammed up yet after several hundred rounds. I also own a Valmet M76, which is heavier and more accurate (has awesome iron sites), but I actually like shooting my Romy more and like the 1 shot drop factor. It's even got a chrome lined barrel so I could be horrible to it and shoot corrosive ammo (not doing this). The Yugo doesn't. For the money, I got a great deal.
Dante1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 15:37   #35
Registered Member
Last Achievements

Also make sure the serial numbers match on all the stampings.
Old 03-24-2011, 15:54   #36
Registered Member
Last Achievements

Smile The trick to buying a good WASR 10/63...

Hi guys, I wanted to buy an AKM clone at a reasonable price before President Dillhole closes the window officially or not and the WASR to me is the cheapest and best option for the money PROVIDED one takes the time to be educated on how to spot a good one:
1. Go to a dealer and pick the best of a batch of them for reasons I will get into one by one.
2. You have to understand recent Romanian history with regard to Ceacesqu (sorry to butcher his name Romanians) and the history of Cugir and Saadu Arsenals. In short, the craftsman at the Cugir arsenal were better and more skilled than those at Saadu. Look for 'Cugir' stamped on the right side of the receiver and on the other side, look for a triangle stamping with an up arrow inside of it. This means that the receiver passed quality control and that the receiver stampings in the parts kit passed QC. A 1960's parts kit is best. That will be stamped on the receiver as well. Also check for matching serial numbers on the stampings.
3. I don't give a r@tz @$$ about the wood. To me, AK's aren't pretty. They are about function, so I don't care enough to bother, but that's a personal preference. Refinish if u care to.
4. About mag wobble... You won't have this cosmetic (won't affect operation even if u get one with it from what I've read. Mine is tight like a glove. No wobble at all. However, look for the following to prevent that: either two metal guides welded to the interior of the mag well (mine has this) or in the 1975 parts kit, dimples on the sides of the receiver that many AKMs have.
5. Although by all reports, Century has done a much better job with their QC since 2009-2010. Mine is put together very well and only has 1 issue: very slight front site post canting that I didn't visually catch looking down the barrel (Century's fault, not Romania's) because it is VERY slight. It throws me off 1" to the right at 50 yards and groups very consistently. I can correct my aim now, but will fix it. Remember to check for this. My friend's Century built Yugo has a worse issue than mine in this regard. No biggie to me.

I love my Romy and at $450, it's a great deal. My buddy paid over 6 bills for his fancy Yugo that shoots no better than mine and my receiver is parkerized/flawless (I will post pics if u like) and it has not jammed up yet after several hundred rounds. I also own a Valmet M76, which is heavier and more accurate (has awesome iron sites), but I actually like shooting my Romy more and like the 1 shot drop factor. It's even got a chrome lined barrel so I could be horrible to it and shoot corrosive ammo (not doing this). The Yugo doesn't. For the money, I got a great deal.