AK and Sights - Shooting Sports Forum

AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HB of CJ
  • 1 Post By Steak n eggs
  • 1 Post By jdg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 20:09   #1

AK and Sights

This is a stupid question from someone who does not own and AK. The question is:

Why does it seem to me so many people are happy to run the AK without any optic of any sort? Of course some do but it just seems as if many people do not and are fine with iron sights. Is this an accurate observation? If so, why are they so happy with AK irons?
Fertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:36   #2

Nature Of The Platform? ...

We ran irons for quite awhile but a low total round count. Saiga AK47 7.62x51 NATO. Eventually we moved the front site base, (FSB) rearward a bit so the muzzle could be threaded.

The site base was corrected at that time. It was SLIGHTLY canted. At first we just ran an after market wind age adjustable rear site aperture to correct the irons. We did NOT run optics at first.

The purpose of the AK at the time it was purchased was just a good hard hitting fun gun that could deer hunt. Then the irons got corrected. Then we wanted a good EoTeck red dot sight.

The factory left side receiver scope mount rail was also way off. More correction. It took some fun time and some effort to put an optic on our Saiga. We knew this from the get go. Thus the irons.

Back when AKs were so cheap, the cost of a good optic solution was more than the gun. So we left the irons pretty much alone. It was old age and weak eyes that finally won. Thus the red dot optic.

Hope this helps. Respectfully.

Edited More: ... Then the EoTecks got recalled. Ours included. Big refund check. But right now "Maxine Maxblast", (the guns name) has no optic. Glad we corrected the irons. Someday a red dot.
Fertig likes this.

Last edited by HB of CJ; 05-07-2017 at 10:39. Reason: more
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:26   #3

Very good answer HD of CJ. Actually, your answer clears up a lot in my mind. Thanks again.
Fertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2017, 07:42   #4

Haven't see too many AK's without a slanted front sight or gas block. Funny how the commies got this right, but we in our infinite technology can't.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 19:25   #5

The 7.62x39 cartridge isn't a very flat shooting cartridge... most guys don't shoot them past 300yards. Most guys shoot steel cased ammo on top of that... these types usually aren't shooting for small groups, so optics weren't a big deal. A lot of older AK's didn't come with the side mounts, my maadi's never had them.

In the past few years, guys have started to run optics on AK's a lot more though.

I've seen a lot of canted sights on AK's too, but they aren't too difficult to fix... I had 4 maadi's from the mid to late 90's... two of them wouldn't zero because the can't was so bad, but once fixed they were extremely accurate... for an AK... I could stack steel cased ammo on top of each other at 50 yards on irons in prone... I have a polish right now who's FSB was perfectly straight!...it's too bad, American AK's usually have very straight FSB's but the rifles are complete ****!... American Company's that assemble AK's out of combloc parts kits are usually straight too, if you don't mind the U.S. reciever and barrel.
Fertig likes this.
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:14   #6
jdg

Originally Posted by Fertig View Post
This is a stupid question from someone who does not own and AK. The question is:

Why does it seem to me so many people are happy to run the AK without any optic of any sort? Of course some do but it just seems as if many people do not and are fine with iron sights. Is this an accurate observation? If so, why are they so happy with AK irons?
AKs basicly run a pistol sight picture, with very little light on either side of the front post when shouldered. This set up is very accurate believe it or not, but it does block some of the target. ARs using the peep sight picture is less forgiving on accuracy, but gives you a clear picture of the target. I prefer the AR sight picture over the AK, but both have their advantages.
Fertig likes this.
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote