Ras47 - Shooting Sports Forum

AK Talk AK-47 and AK-74 talk. SKS talk has been moved!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Southernhunter
  • 3 Post By dh1633pm
  • 1 Post By Southernhunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 13:32   #1

Ras47

I took in a ras47 on a trade , I have read all the bad reviews and seen just as many good reviews. I am trying to figure out the serial numbers. To figure out if it's a older or new model , it has the magpul furniture but also came with a wood set . Does any one know how the serial numbers run?
Southernhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:15   #2

I would get rid of it. Most of the good reviews are from people with low round counts and the few that claim high round counts either don't provide pictures at all and the few that have are extremely suspect...i.e... People claiming 5-6k round counts and shows picture of bolt that can't have more than 1000 rounds through it.

The main issue with RAS47's have been the cast front trunnion and the bolts and bolt carriers... There's been more than a few documented cases of those front trunnions not only giving out but actually caving in on themselves... Robski over on the files tested a few of them, one all the way to 5k. The rifle lasted but the rifle was losing headspace exponentially... He shipped it to another member over on the akfiles who found that the trunnion had indeed caved in on itself... He then hardness tested the parts and found almost every piece of the rifle to be out of spec... Century is suspected to have used inferior materials, suspect heat treatment and bad quality control with these rifles.

I my self have little issues with cast front trunnions like a lot of those guys, but it does need to be done right, which in my opinion Century does not do. A lot of people hate on the C39v2 also but There are a lot of people who have swapped out the BCG and recoil spring with good results.

If you plan on keeping that RAS, at least do yourself the favor of swapping to a good front trunnion and bolt.
Steak n eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:00   #3

Thanks for the suggestions .I got it up for sale but as you mentioned the bad reviews makes getting anything out of it hard. I am not a ak guy but do like them, so I have a few questions . If I ran this gun till the bolt and trunnions gave out what would be the cost to replace those parts? The Likely y hood of me ever putting 5,000 rds down the pipe is not good but just in case I'd like to know what options are available. In the mean time I do have it posted for sale or trade.

Old 12-24-2016, 14:18   #4

The trunnions itself is actually pretty cheap.. You can buy surplus ones or you can buy new ones made in Poland from WBP Rogow (both cast and forged) people usually get those at Arms of America. There is also a guy that makes 100% American made billet ones that seem to have a good reputation also... The problem is that the Trunnion is the heart of the AK... To change it, you have to first cut the rivets from the front trunnion area.(rivets are cheap and easy to get from AoA too) then you have to take the barrel pin out.(easy) then you have to press the barrel out of the trunnion.( still easy) A press or barrel tool like from toth tooling is generally used, but you can also use a gear puller if your willing to get a little more creative. That's the easy parts......

Then you need to press barrel into new trunnion (most use a Harbour freight press or toth tool) you also take your new bolt (buy those at AoA also) and you headspace the bolt as you press the barrel in... Once the barrel is pressed in and the bolt is able to be head spaced then you can drill your trunnion for your barrel pin. (Most people use use a drill press and reaming kit for this...can you guess where they get it from?) after the trunnion is drilled and reamed for the barrel pin, the barrel pin is taken back out and the barrel is the pressed back off the trunnion....

Then the trunnion is riveted back into the Reciever... Once the trunnion is riveted back into the Reciever... Then the barrel is pressed back into the trunnion. (This is where the toth tool is used most often) the trick is to get that barrel pressed on perfect so that the barrel and trunnion cuts align perfectly for the barrel pin... Some people will use the toth tool and a few love taps from a brass hammer to get it just right... When this is done you can drive the barrel pin home...then you want to double check headspace again, once everything is together...lol... At this point you can pretty much build your own AK!

There are other small details to it and if your interested in trying it, the same guy who hardness tested the RAS47 also has done a lot of AK building videos. He's a good guy and also can be found on the akfiles... His name is mel64 in case you are interested.

But to be forewarned... The guys over at the files are very passionate about AK's, they hate the RAS47... When one is mentioned it often creates a lot of hateful posts... They can also be very helpful too.
Old 12-24-2016, 14:21   #5

There has been a few guys who's RAS have exploded on them in less than 1000 rounds, So be very careful, watch Rob and Mel's videos on the ras47 so you at least know the area that gives out.

Cost for a smith to fix and replace trunnion...?... I would guess between 300-400 for the work.
Old 12-27-2016, 18:23   #6

Thank you for the educational info. I love every thing about the rifle except but I am going to pass it on. What ak do you recommend ? I'd like to have one with a scope rail as I may want to hunt with it if the accuracy is there, budgets around $800
Steak n eggs likes this.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:33   #7

The best one to get right now is the Vepr square back... Normal versions will have a slanted Reciever in the back where the stock meets with it... These versions also have proprietary mags. The square back takes normal AK mags and normal AKM stocks, but retains the rpk's style bulged trunnions and barrel... You can get them from Atlantic Firearms.

Arsenal's are known to be well made too, but there was what they called bubble gate... Where if you mag dumped one too many mags, the paint started to bubble.... These are very expensive...WASRS are acceptable as are kit builds from reliable sources. WBP Rogow kits are also good if the builder is a known good builder. (They have both cast and forged trunnions, most rather have the forged, but the cast WBP's have held up no problems)

If all American is what you want, I think DDI is at the top spot...they are brand new and all the important parts are hammer forged. (The only one in America) the frosting on the cake is that their bolts are so precise that they are said to be interchangeable... Rob ski tested I think ten bolts in his test gun and they all headspaced properly! (That's huge in the akm world... Only one in the world) the bad side of DDI, is that they had an issue with their extractors in the first batch. Robs rifle went through two extractors and he sent the rifle back... DDI is very active over on the files and appears to have gotten on top of the extractor issue quickly... Even sent out replacements to any customers that wanted one.

PSA also has a gen 2 PSAK... It uses a forged billet trunnion, but appears to be a cheaper alternative to the DDI for the American guys... They usually get sold out pretty quick too.

I would have a hard time choosing between the Vepr square back and the DDI myself... The Vepr is a combloc rpk of very high and proven quality... The DDI is everything an American Company should be, but did have slight teething issues.

Atlantic has the best selection of AK's in my opinion... When you get a chance you can browse through their stock, just stay away from RAS47 and IO (unless the IO is an Archer)
Old 12-30-2016, 10:21   #8

Thanks again the ras47 is officially gone But ...... lol maybe I should start another thread. I ended up picking up a milled c39v2 through a trade. I'll have Under $600 in it. I read they had trouble with soft bolts also on a few. However this gun has had a polished Bulgarian bolt and carrier installed. I checked the head space before trading and all seemed fine. He said he had put 200 rds down the barrel with no issues. It came with moe furniture and is claimed to be a sweet shooter. I may let it go too in the future but do plan to shoot this one some.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:34   #9

The one thing I'd watch is bolt wear as you shoot... Some people that swap internals fit the bolt to headspace properly but don't fit it square... In other words the locking lugs don't lock even... Just keep an eye on it... If you do see uneven wear on the bolt lugs you could probably fit it square yourself, there are a few videos of how and what to do. Does yours have the recoil spring swap too?

Like I said there is still some hate on the c39v2 but even after the internal swap I think some people are just mad at century. I personally am a fan of the c39v2 with swapped internals. I've thought about getting one so I could do the same thing!... Swapping the barrel if ever needed is very simple... Just press barrel on, headspace and drill for barrel pin!... Dang it. Now I want a milled AK!

I've heard good stuff regarding the v2 Reciever, barrel and FCG too... What kind of furniture do you have?
Old 12-30-2016, 17:30   #10

Funny how the communists with their lack of precision anything could get such a simple rifle correct and the American's just can't seem to get it.
dh1633pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 23:26   #11

Glad to hear u like the 39v2, I was worried about it but honestly it feels better than the ras or the mac90. The action is super smooth compared to those two. Which isn't saying much I guess. It has the magpul furniture and a hoge pistol grip. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to get it out, it's a sweet looking rig I must say.
Steak n eggs likes this.