1911 Talk (formerly Colt Government Talk) Everything about 1911 model pistols and their derivatives and knock-offs! Get advice about the Colt Government pistols, post items about your experience with these pistols and accessories for these pistols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 20:47   #1
Points: 1,847, Level: 25 Points: 1,847, Level: 25 Points: 1,847, Level: 25
Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0%
Last Achievements

Advantage Arms .22 conversion problem

I purchased an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit and it arrived today. It cycles, feeds and ejects fine, the only problem is it does not push the hammer down enough to catch the sear. It's just a hair off. I noticed this when I assembled it and cycled it by hand. If I cycled it slowly, the hammer would ride the slide back, but if I cycled it fast, the momentum of the hammer would allow it to travel enough to catch. If I pull back the slide with the hammer cocked, the slide does not contact it. I thought that when shooting, the slide would cycle fast enough for the hammer to catch the sear. So I went to my brother's to cycle a few rounds through it. But only once did the hammer catch the sear out of around 100 rounds. Could my hammer be undersized? Is that why the kit cannot cock the hammer? I have a Para Ordnance GI Expert, which has a skeletonized commander hammer. It works perfectly with the original slide, not once has had a problem. I will try contacting Advantage Arms to see if they have encountered this problem before and if they have any recommendations.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 20:14   #2
Points: 1,847, Level: 25 Points: 1,847, Level: 25 Points: 1,847, Level: 25
Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0% Activity: 18.0%
Last Achievements

I figured out it is my hammer. I tried the kit on my brother's 1911 and it worked perfectly. Now I just need a new hammer. I'm thinking a spur to give it a more classic look.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29   #3
Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
I figured out it is my hammer. I tried the kit on my brother's 1911 and it worked perfectly. Now I just need a new hammer. I'm thinking a spur to give it a more classic look.
Hi NHS, have you considered a replacement hammer spring assembly instead of the hammer? That would let you change out the hammer spring when you desire to return to the .45 ACP. A reduced power hammer spring may work both the conversion and the .45 ACP?

I have a Marvel Unit 1 with both Weaver bar and adjustable sights. It's an accurate conversion, but I could have bought a very good .22 pistol for the same price. My experience has that shooting the conversion doesn't help much with shooting the .45 ACP. The issue for good .45 ACP shooting is good hold, sight control, trigger control, and recoil management. The conversion doesn't do anything to help recoil management. I find that the best improvement in shooting the .45 ACP is to shoot the .45 ACP. The .22 conversion adds a nice change for low cost shooting, but the same benefit could be gained with any .22 pistol IMO.

Regards,
Richard
ssb73q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:28   #4
Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Neurotic Hapi Snak View Post
Hi NHS, Wolff has a reduced power spring kit that you may want to try, see:

Wolff Mainspring Pack 1911 Government Commander Reduced Power

Find the strongest spring of the reduced power set that allows both your .45 ACP and .22 conversion to work.

BTW, while the kit is out of stock at Midway, it's in stock at Brownells, see:
REDUCED POWER HAMMER SPRING KIT #26520 COLT 1911 & COMMANDER - Brownells

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Richard
ssb73q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 20:51   #5
Registered Member
Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18 Points: 1,153, Level: 18
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

I bought a AA 1911 kit and had a problem too - the hammer was not cocking. The gun fired, ejected the old case and fed a new one, but the hammer was not cocked. I tried this on 2 different guns with the same result Before you do anything, call AA. I did, and they emailed me a pic of 2 different slides and asked, does yours look like the one with the big red line drawn through it, or does it look like photo #2- mine was the one with the red line. They said to send the conversion back so that they could swap parts, or I could do it myself. They sent me the part in a few days. If yours is like my old one, dry fire the gun and while holding the trigger trapped, pull the slide back and have someone push the disconnector with a small punch, you will hear it reset. If its like mine, the underneath area of the slide on the AA kit has a hump where it should be a smooth part- if you have the hump, the slide is not resetting the disconnector on the gun.
hope this helps,

Tom
tomfrey is offline   Reply With Quote