1911 Talk (formerly Colt Government Talk) Everything about 1911 model pistols and their derivatives and knock-offs! Get advice about the Colt Government pistols, post items about your experience with these pistols and accessories for these pistols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 17:30   #1
Points: 42,175, Level: 100 Points: 42,175, Level: 100 Points: 42,175, Level: 100
Activity: 64.5% Activity: 64.5% Activity: 64.5%
Last Achievements

New Regent 100 - FTE problems...HELP!

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I recently bought a Regent R100 M1911 clone to replace my long-gone Springfield (sold it in the '90's to pay the rent...).

Fired off a box of Blazer Brass and was in 7th heaven - no FTF, FTE, etc and durn it was good to fire a steel framed gun with a proper sized bore for social purposes.

Then I got to the second box of ammo - Remington 50 shots out of a 100rd value pack from wally world. This one was not so heavenly, with a total of two FTE (both of the same type with the spent ctg case in the chamber and a fresh ctg in the mag on the way up).

I did my internet searching and it sounded like the extractor tension was a little weak, so I CAREFULLY adjusted it. As of now it passes the tests of holding a live ctg and a spent brass and releasing when appropriate.

And firing the second half of the 100 rd box, it again failed in exactly the same way two more times.

So, opinions please:
a. limp wristing (it has been over 10 years since firing a 1911...)
b. bad mag
c. replace extractor
d. weak ammo (not recoiling all the way), switch brands
e. fire 400 more rounds for breakin and don't worry about a few FTE during the breakin period
f. something else?!

These FTE really do surprise me, since the pistol has a 'quality' feel to it (reminds me a LOT of my old Springfield).

Anyway, thanks in advance,
Grumpy
PS Wish I could've afforded a more 'status' 1911 like a Kimber or a Colt, but it was a Hail Mary pass to get this one...
grumpy_old_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:46   #2
Points: 6,028, Level: 50 Points: 6,028, Level: 50 Points: 6,028, Level: 50
Activity: 12.7% Activity: 12.7% Activity: 12.7%
Last Achievements

its the ammo rem not so good lately i would fire a couple more boxes of blazer and not do much till you get 500 rds through it.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:36   #3
Points: 4,532, Level: 42 Points: 4,532, Level: 42 Points: 4,532, Level: 42
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

I would check it against the Blaser ammo. If you have a three point jam with it now, its the pistol. If it doesn't fail, could be she just don't like remington bulk crap ammo?
crockett007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 21:15   #4
Points: 42,175, Level: 100 Points: 42,175, Level: 100 Points: 42,175, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Hi guys, thanks for the insights and here's an update.

After my disappointment with the Rem bulk ammo I tried some Federal ammo with even worse results. Today however, I discharged 100x ctgs of WWB 230 gr ball through the piece, and experienced no problems at all with FTE or anything else for that matter.

So, either my technique improved or the ammo is 'better' than it was with the Remington and Federal ctgs. Maybe I should try some more Federal or Rem and see if it reproduces the FTE? What do you think?

All the best,
Grumpy
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37   #5
Points: 4,532, Level: 42 Points: 4,532, Level: 42 Points: 4,532, Level: 42
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Maybe your pistol is getting "broken in". Although I hate the term, and am a believer that 100% function should come right out of the box, maybe you're good to go. I would not bet my life on this piece until it get's fully checked out by a pro, but at this price point you probably aren't willing to foot that bill..lol

Good luck with your piece and happy shooting!

PS (some pictures would be nice)
crockett007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 19:58   #6
Last Achievements

Hi everyone;

Here's an update on the Regent R100. After another hundred Federal 230gr FMJ, it was becoming a jam-amatic with any ammo loaded hotter than WWB, so I put on my thinking cap (and read everything I could about the operating issues with the 1911) and swapped out the recoil spring with a Wilson 16-1/2 lb unit, along with shock-buffer.

SUCCESS! It now feeds and functions with everything. The stock recoil spring was something like 1/2" shorter, and was probably a bit dicey when new. As of now, another couple of hundred flawless rounds have been put downrange, and I have refined it a bit more - changing out the stock extractor for an Ed Brown 'bulletproof" tightened up the ejection pattern (before they were all over the place, some 10yds to the right and some straight up) to the point where I can collect up my empties in a tidy pile. An Ed Brown bushing helped tighten up the groups, and an Ed Brown match sear made for a much nicer trigger. I LIKE Ed Brown parts!

Only real issue aside from the initial FTE was that the original front sight blew out of the gun about the 600 round mark. I picked up a couple of replacements from Sarco and with green loctite and brownells staking tool had at it. So far it has held fast.

So, not perfect, but certainly a useable 1911. Hopefully any other Regent buyers will look at the strength of their recoil springs should FTE be an issue. And check that front sight staking! If it is at all loose, loctite 620 plus the application of a staking tool should be performed before you have to go hunting around for the proper narrow tenon front sight.

All the best,
Grumpy
Old 05-28-2012, 11:55   #7
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I fired mine for the first time 2 days ago. Was using Fiocchi 230g, no FTE after 100 rounds. I used the factory Regent mag, a ProMag 7rd Mag and a Ruger 8rd mag with no issues.

I replaced all of the MIM parts (Sear, Disconnect, Trigger, Hammer Strut) before I fired it though. No changes to the springs though.
ShootinMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11   #8
Last Achievements

Hi ShootinMedic;

Glad to read yours was a success from the get-go! I didn't want my post to read like a condemnation of the Regent - overall I like it a lot for its classic 1911A1 GI styling, and once I replaced the problematic spring, its a keeper.

Mine was probably a fluke, in that mine has a very low serial number, and had a number of what looked to be GI surplus parts from the factory instead of the MIM I am seeing on the newer guns. Maybe the factory had some old parts to use up from an earlier mil contract? Don't know.

Anyway, glad to read that your gun was good to go!
All the best,
Grumpy

PS Be very careful to check the tightness and staking of the front sight. On mine, after a few hundred rounds it parted company with the gun, never to be seen again. Sarco has the correct front sights if that should happen to you, though the staking is a royal pain. If your sight is a little loose, try degreasing it then apply green loctite and restake. My replacement sight is still attached, and I am near the 1000 round mark now.
Old 05-29-2012, 22:37   #9
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

GOM-

I'm seriously considering it for IDPA SSP, that being said I've been looking at doing something a little less subdued for the front sight. I spoke with a local gunsmith who said he'll let me know when he's doing a finish and is going to use something bright. The pocket pistols are all the rage in AK with the ladies due to our ability to open/concealed carry w/o a permit. Apparently they are even more popular in a ridiculous and vibrant color that looks like it came off of a teenage girl's fingernails. I'm guessing a neon pink or chartreuse would be nice.

I like the fact that yours came with some GI internals. Mine didn't, but with the exception of an aluminum trigger it is still very much in the GI genre.

Being a GI myself (and having to carry an M9) I feel like my 1911 is a legit legacy piece I can grip and know its design has been in the hands of men for 101 years who've stood in the same boots as me.
ShootinMedic is offline   Reply With Quote