Remington 1911 R1 problems - Shooting Sports Forum

1911 Talk (formerly Colt Government Talk) Everything about 1911 model pistols and their derivatives and knock-offs! Get advice about the Colt Government pistols, post items about your experience with these pistols and accessories for these pistols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:11   #1
Administrator

Remington 1911 R1 problems

For an early birthday present my wife surprised me with a new Remington 1911 R1. I got the pistol on Thursday (January 5, 2012), over the past weekend I took the pistol out on 2 different shooting sessions.

Lets just say I am not impressed.

To break in the new pistol, I went to the local wal-mart and bought 100 rounds of Remington/UMC 230 JHP, this is the bulk pack of 100 rounds per box. The other box was Winchester 230 grain round nose. The winchester was also the bulk box

Our of about 100 rounds fired, I had 7 failures. The malfunctions happened with factory supplied magazines.

Saturday - The first 5 failures during the first shooting session:
4 - fails to feeds
1 - the second to the last round locked the slide back, which left the last round sitting there. For some reason the last round was sitting loose on top of the magazine, instead of being in the magazine.

Disassembled and cleaned the pistol Saturday evening

Sunday - 2 failures during the second session:
1 - fail to feed
1 - slide locked back on the second to last round.

On the fail to feeds - the round started to enter the chamber, and it was like something stopped the round from going all the way in. When I pulled the round out, the brass had a slight dent, maybe 1/8 wide, and maybe 3/16 - 1/4 inch from the end of the brass, on the bullet end.

I called a buddy of mine that does gun smith work, he said the chamber might need to be polished and the feed ramp buffed? I hope I got that right.

My concern is that if he does anything to the pistol, it will void the warranty.

Overall, I like the accuracy of the Remington 1911 R1, I like how the pistol handles, the trigger has very little creep and I like how it shoots. The second shooting session was doing a double tap - 1 in the chest then 1 in the head. The pistol came right back on target.

Now if I can just get it to work right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kevin; 02-10-2012 at 14:08.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15   #2

i would try some different mags like shooting stars they work good and there cheap or wilson they also work and a little polish at the feed ramp wont hurt either.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50   #3

My self, I'd go back to the dealer and have him look it over. As a registered dealer he should be able to determine if you have a warranty claim and get Remington to fix it before you put your grubby (well intentioned) paws in its guts.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:40   #4
Administrator

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I am going to pick up a couple of mec-gar magazines (total of 3), run another 100 rounds through the pistol, and see how it preforms from there.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47   #5
Administrator

I opened a support ticket with remington, maybe they can help get the problems fixed.
Old 01-11-2012, 16:53   #6

Yeh..new gun..send it back if it's having that many failures.

I bought a Rem R1 early last year...it had a few issues...however working wasn't one of them.

Things to look for with the Remington R1...sight set screws working loose....the slide stop nub may stick too far into the magwell(causing failure to feeds and premature lock the slide)...funky casting/machine work in the frames dustcover wearing the finish on the front of the slide.

My gun had the above issues although the slide-stop wasn't causing an issue with feeding of locking the slide with ammo in the mag....the slide stop nub did cause ammo in the mag to have to 'detour' around it to feed. This could be causing some of your feed issues.

I fixed my issues myself..and am quite pleased with my Remington.

I've owned a number of 1911 pistols over the years..and never a perfect one.
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36   #7
Administrator

I got an email from Remington this morning asking me to call a 1-800 number.

I will keep everyone updated as things progress.
Old 01-13-2012, 15:44   #8

Kevin, out of curiosity, have you had a chance to try a different magazine yet? Maybe yours just came with faulty mags as mentioned above . I haven't had any trouble with my R1 or factory mags and a Chip McCormick mag has ran flawlessly as well.

Also did you notice if the failures were with the JHP or the FMJ or did it seem to matter?
TJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41   #9
Administrator

Took my new Remington 1911 R1 out last sunday, fired off around 100 rounds and did not have a single malfunction.

Before I sent the pistol in for repair, I wanted to take it out one more time. This last time there were no problems.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:48   #10

Kev, Being that it is a new gun, it may just need a good break-in of a few hundred rounds to smooth it out.
Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 14:55   #11

kev any updates on the r1. im in the market for a 1911 and my lgs has a used one at a good price.
scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:56   #12

I would try new quality magazines. The malfunctions described don't sound like ramp problems to me. Magazine or extractor tension is my advice.

crockett007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:39   #13
Administrator

Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
kev any updates on the r1. im in the market for a 1911 and my lgs has a used one at a good price.
My wife and I went to a sand pit a few weeks ago, fired off maybe 100 rounds, and no more problems.

Last edited by Kevin; 02-10-2012 at 14:06.
Old 02-10-2012, 16:34   #14

cool thanks for the update
scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote