1911 Talk (formerly Colt Government Talk) Everything about 1911 model pistols and their derivatives and knock-offs! Get advice about the Colt Government pistols, post items about your experience with these pistols and accessories for these pistols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 18:43   #1
Points: 5,413, Level: 47 Points: 5,413, Level: 47 Points: 5,413, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

sistema sights

Whats the best after market sights for the 1911 just got this baby last week first 1911 ,what took me so long? The perfect firearm for my stubby fingers.
galleta loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42   #2
Points: 10,538, Level: 68 Points: 10,538, Level: 68 Points: 10,538, Level: 68
Last Achievements

I would first ask what is wrong with the factory sights? I had my factory sights replaced with a Millet set (new staked front sight, adjustable rear that uses the existing dovetail and locks in place with a set screw.) I chose the Millet set because it didn't require milling a dovetail for the front sight.

They work well but if I had it to do over I would have stayed with the factory setup.
Old 09-23-2007, 18:31   #3
Points: 5,413, Level: 47 Points: 5,413, Level: 47 Points: 5,413, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Just looking for quicker sight aquisition.
galleta loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:29   #4
Points: 10,538, Level: 68 Points: 10,538, Level: 68 Points: 10,538, Level: 68
Last Achievements

I don't know if you are going to gain much even going to a Novak set up. Go to a hooby store and get a bottle of the dayglow paint. Put a dot on your front sight and a dot on each side of the notch on your rear sight and see if it helps. If it does you can stay with that set up or spend the money for new sights. A Novak set up requires machining the slide and the sights aren't cheap. The Millet set up I have cost about $60 plus the gunsmith to replace the front sight. The Millets are adjustable and have white dots on the front sight and each side of the rear notch. I don't really notice a quicker sight picture acquisition; I can adjust for POI/POA when I change loads which is an advantage. The Millets do have sharp edges and when I got them the tension springs were missing and I was getting really frustrated with my POI wandering horizontally until I took them apart and discovered that some critical parts were missing.