1911 Talk (formerly Colt Government Talk) Everything about 1911 model pistols and their derivatives and knock-offs! Get advice about the Colt Government pistols, post items about your experience with these pistols and accessories for these pistols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 14:58   #1
Registered Member
Points: 6,060, Level: 50 Points: 6,060, Level: 50 Points: 6,060, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I recently picked up a 1911 for $400. I've been looking for a shooter, and this fit the bill perfectly. However, I was wondering if any of you have seen one like this, or know more about it than I do.

The previous owner was somewhat of a target shooter, and installed a custom trigger (which I want to replace, like the original look), aftermarket sights, hollowed out hammer and aftermarket "grip safety" (for lack of a better word).

The slide is marked with the Colt logo, all the regular patent info, etc. So I'll assume the slide is genuine Colt. The only thing different about it is it has grooves/slits cut into the front (ie just like the grooves above the grip on all 1911s), about 1/2" back of the muzzle. They are sharper and more defined than the ones in back, so I'm guessing someone had them put on later.

Now the frame is another thing. First off, the serial number is X85**, and stamped rather crudely (the 5 is doublestamped). I did reasearch on this serial, and from what I can tell, when the US Military remanufactured all the 1911s it could during WWII, they would erase the old serial and restamp it with this meaningless X**** or X****** number. On close inspection, I can see where they smoothed over the old serial.

So, the serial won't tell us anything, lets look for other markings. Just below the safety release on the left side is stamped G.H.D. Well, according to this site here and several others, GHD was Guy H. Drewry, Colt inspector S/No's 845,000 to 2,360,600.
The only other markings I can find are a small K, and a small triangle a little below it, on the trigger guard, front left. See my pics for a closeup.

From that information, it would seen that both main parts are Colt, although it would be impossible to tell if they are original to each other.
I'm not worried about resale value, or anything like that, as I've always loved 1911s and wanted one for casual shooting, but I'd be jazzed if both the slide and frame were actually Colt. I like guns with history behind them, and this would certainly fit the bill.

Has anyone seen one of these guns, or owns one?

Everstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 14:43   #2
Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73 Points: 12,806, Level: 73
Last Achievements

the hollwed out hammer is called a combat hammer. it helps to keep the hammer from catching on things when you have to draw. also another good side effect of the combat hammer is that it keeps the hammer from biting the webbing between your thumb and index finger under recoil. i like many other 1911 shooters have a scare there from repeated bitings lol. also the aftermarket grip safety (yep thats what its called) also helps to stop the hammer from biting you since it extends out farther then the stock grip safty on a 1911.

as for the trigger i bet its an adjustable one. if you field stripped it and then went a little further you could find out... not sure if you can tell if you just take of the grip or not.

from the research you did it looks like a WWII .45 that was reworked. i bet all the internals are replaced and only the frame is original and the slide might be a colt replacement. but i dunno for sure.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
Albert Einstein
Dorkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 19:04   #3
Points: 10,674, Level: 68 Points: 10,674, Level: 68 Points: 10,674, Level: 68
Last Achievements

The triangle is colt's verified proof mark. Colt started stamping that on their military guns in 1937 around serial number 710,001. The K is the final inspectors mark. Another thing you might want to look for is to remove the firing pin stop. Starting around 710,001 colt stamped the serial number under the firing pin stop. They stoped doing this between 1,140,000 and 1,145,000. I hate to see people do that to these guns. If you want a gun to look like that go buy a Kimber or something.
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 00:43   #4
Points: 6,087, Level: 50 Points: 6,087, Level: 50 Points: 6,087, Level: 50
Last Achievements

I'm sorry, but the gun looks to modern to be anything older than the last few decades in my opinion, the squared trigger guard is a big hint, not to mention between the forward cocking seriations, beavertail grip safety, combat hammer, target trigger, checkered front strap, extended thumb safety, recessed finger groove, etc., etc. could you be missinterpeting all these no.s and markings, it looks to much like a modern combat package gun to me.

I don't see the markings being left on the trigger guard if it were cut up re-shaped and welded to be a modern combat square trigger guard, very fishy.
Mrblackguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 14:04   #5
Points: 4,043, Level: 40 Points: 4,043, Level: 40 Points: 4,043, Level: 40
Last Achievements

The pistol could have easily been a 60's or early 70's mil. issue with some after market parts added. The combat/ commander style hammer, beavertail grip safety and adjustable trigger (if there is a little hole in the front of the trigger that is) and the extended thumb safety are all commom after market parts added to make the pistol more shooter friendly to some. As for the squared trigger guard, The Air Force OSI actually had some their 1911's modified in this manner prior to issue. All in all, I'd say it is a standard GI 1911 someone added some parts to. Shoot it and enjoy it, it looks like a nice piece.
huckabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:00   #6
Points: 6,087, Level: 50 Points: 6,087, Level: 50 Points: 6,087, Level: 50
Last Achievements

I'd say no earlier than the '70s
Mrblackguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 23:30   #7
Points: 9,419, Level: 65 Points: 9,419, Level: 65 Points: 9,419, Level: 65
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Everstorm View Post
I recently picked up a 1911 for $400. I've been looking for a shooter, and this fit the bill perfectly. The only thing different about it is it has grooves/slits cut into the front (ie just like the grooves above the grip on all 1911s), about 1/2" back of the muzzle. They are sharper and more defined than the ones in back.

Now the frame is another thing.
From that information, it would seen that both main parts are Colt, although it would be impossible to tell if they are original to each other.
I'm not worried about resale value, or anything like that, as I've always loved 1911s and wanted one for casual shooting, but I'd be jazzed if both the slide and frame were actually Colt. I like guns with history behind them, and this would certainly fit the bill.

Has anyone seen one of these guns, or owns one?

You very likely have a legitimate Colt slide and frame. The squared trigger guard looks very much to me like an "Armond Swenson" custom job, not sure about the Airforce. No Colts; to my knowledge, ever came with such a trigger guard from the factory but could well have on special military order.

I would further investigate the lineage of this sidearm, if I were you. As for the rest of the features of this 1911. Well, they are the most sought after. The Hi Vis sights, enhanced combat trigger, Commander hammer, beaver tail grip safety with the enhanced tactile surface for sure deployment, extended thumb safety, forward serrations, etc. This is a very nice pistol as it is.

These custom parts are; for the most part, highly desirable and the pistol is set up for CQB (close quarters combat). Like the extended thumb safety but a standard slide release. Standard mag release. etc.

Much of what you have there would cost a good penny to add to an otherwise stock pistol and these features definitely enhance the usefulness and value of a 1911. The price was certainly right for a Colt 1911.

You don't show the other side of the pistol but has the ejection port been lowered and flared? That's good too.

Check these two sites below for info on the squared trigger guard.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pist...on/swenson.htm

http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pist.../swenson/3.JPG